New '09 Tahoe - moved on from '91 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Tahoe, but no stranger to full size GM SUVs: '89 K5 a long time ago and just sold a '91 V2500 (3/4 ton, 4x4) Suburban, last year of the squarebody. The burb was pretty well built up, 383 stroker motor, later model 4L80e, lots of TBI tuning etc, but I just wasn't using it and wanted to move onto something a little more practical with more creature comforts. (Plus my wife never liked it and she loves the Tahoe)

Tahoe is '09 LS, 4x4 - has just the options I want and nothing more. 5.3, Heavy-duty cooling, locker rear, etc. Good color, too. Has 192K, but I'm not afraid of swapping in a long block or even rebuilding. Same with trans (although I wouldn't rebuild that myself). I was specifically looking for an '09: 6L80, but still has a 2 speed t-case. Runs awesome, no significant issues. I already put on new Cooper tires, swapped to a CarPlay stereo, fixed cruise by replacing the brake switch, added factory style fog lights, and several other odds and ends. Not sure what the long range plans are, 6.2? Turbo? We'll see, just going to drive it for now.

When I first got it I noticed AFM never seemed to come on - dash readout always said "V8" so I'm assuming it was disabled in some way. The weird thing is, I've worked with a tuner in town in the past and he looked inside for me and said that the tune has never been touched. So how would AFM be disabled if tune is totally factory? He has since disabled AFM in the tune so I'm good to go, just curious and want to find out if someone's been in the engine.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Florida Dave! You can compare VLOMs, the old ones look different than the new ones. Yours came with the old style. Really though, at 190K plus miles you can be sure it was rebuilt once or twice already. If you have a flat plate under the intake, then someone definitely deleted it already!

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Florida Dave! You can compare VLOMs, the old ones look different than the new ones. Yours came with the old style. Really though, at 190K plus miles you can be sure it was rebuilt once or twice already. If you have a flat plate under the intake, then someone definitely deleted it already!
Thanks for the info! It looks like I have a flat plate under there - so seems like good news. I googled what VLOM looks like and it seems if I had one I should be able to see the front most solenoid, but it’s just flat there. So would that mean that one of the delete kits has been installed? I need to research if it’s original engine or not. Where are EINs on these located? Behind the intake on drivers side like an SBC?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! It looks like I have a flat plate under there - so seems like good news. I googled what VLOM looks like and it seems if I had one I should be able to see the front most solenoid, but it’s just flat there. So would that mean that one of the delete kits has been installed? I need to research if it’s original engine or not. Where are EINs on these located? Behind the intake on drivers side like an SBC?
1666817224769.png

Last 6 digits is your VIN. If you have a flat plate, something was done at least, might even be a different motor!

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Any pics of the old K5 and Burby? I miss my square Burby's so bad.
Thanks! LOL - I think I recognize you from GMSB? If so, you can find lots of pics of my '91 there - my handle is Daveo91Burb. It was a really hard decision to sell it. I had it for 8 years and put a lot of money and time into it. But it just wasn't getting the use and with the Tahoe I miss it less than I thought I would. Oh and I do have some pics of the '89 K5, but I'll have to scan them in - I sold that guy back in '97. :)

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon