Need u-joints?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the other night I noticed a slight "clunk" when shifting from reverse to drive and vise versa. It got me to thinking that my u-joints are probably original and therefore the cause of the issue.

I see moisture around them so I'm assuming this means they need replaced most likely??

93fb6e24.jpg

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem with my 01 silverado, I know its not the same vehicle but changing them out helped with the clunking noise but I still had a "jump" when shifting so I also replaced the transmission mount and voila that fixed it. :hands:

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edgar....was your silvy a 4wd and if so did you replace all 4 u-joints at the same time?

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it was 2wd. Don't know how many it had sorry. My dad did the job himself I'm going to ask him though.
One more thing does yours make any noise when moving? Because mine did.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, noises when moving. Just a slight "clunk" when shifting from reverse to drive and drive to reverse. :think: Hopefully this isn't leading down the road of the u-joints are actually fine but the tranny is starting to go :sad72:

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't think so. I've also heard that the torque converter can cause a clunk also when shifting.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine had the same noise your describing and I replaced my u joints (2) but come to find out it wasnt them it is the backlash in my differential... you might want to look up the specs and check the backlash. I did and it was in specs so I live with it...

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if its making a noise then I would think something is wrong right? Setting the backlash is better off letting a professional take care of it, to much or less than specs and you can say bye bye to your differential.

05Yukon23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replacing the transmission mount got rid of the same problem for me. U-joints were fine. Mine is also a different year though.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats what i thought too. i checked it in my manual transmission and differential class and so did my instructor ( been working on trans and diff for 30 years) and both times it was in specs so i left it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msp2640