Need to replace Catalytic convertor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of the catalytic convertors on the tahoe has been rattling for a while now and it is driving me crazy. Has anyone ever had one start just rattling on you before? What would cause one to do so? i have had this one replaced a couple of years ago and i am already having trouble with it and the stock one i have not had any trouble with and it is 10 years old and this one is only 2. Should i just go ahead and get both of them replaced with the high flow ones or just replace the one that is aggervating the crap out of me?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had the casings on a couple mufflers rattle from coming loose from the actual unit, not had any cat. problems but then again this is the only vehicle i've had for a long time that still has them.....for now....

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have replaced mine a few times, I put some magnaflows on about 2 years ago They are good so far

sc00bz

South Paw
Reaction score
My dad's sonoma's cat started rattling real bad and it got annoying as crap. jacked up the truck and knocked the shit out of it with a mallet and took the truck on the interstate. Dawged the hell of of it and blew out whatever was in it that was rattling. Then it started rattling again and we took it off and part of the honeycomb came out. Still haven't replaced it. We need to though because his has an O2 sensor after the cat and with the higher flow it causes the truck to run richer which causes his gas milage to suck (20 mpg on a stock 4 banger, truck was getting 27-30 lol). Also, the performance has suffered.

malones99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup! Replaced my two for the same reason. I live in CA so the cats are twice as much! Thanks environazi's!

our97ho

Reaction score
yep they are twice as much and best to keep um working well and not throwing codes cause dont wanna fail a smog cause 2 fails and ur hoe is labled a gross poluter and thats alll baddddd!!! sry for spelling im sleepy

DesTRucTO

Reaction score
You could go the route i did and cut those ******* off lol... way illegal and youd have to get a tune or o2 simulators to get your ses light to go away but i personally like the way my flowmaster 40 sounds with no cats.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'd just cut them, and have a welding shop weld on some straight pipe.

i love not having emission laws in indiana. that and the gun laws! HA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo