Need new rear main,replace tranny? 179k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't tell, that post was tough to read.

If that's what you meant, my apologies, your right.. new trans comes with new seals..

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No worries. Hell after I turned 60 I started to say some things and meant something else a lot. My friends here are used to it so much they say, "are you sure about that?" I just flip them off and have a beer.

OP
OP
02ncHoe

02ncHoe

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the suggestions. The Jasper tranny definately sounds like it would suit my needs. Just checked there website but couldn't find an installer within 50 miles of my location in NC.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Anyone can install that is qualified. I assume you are talking about an "installer" in their network where the trans can be shipped. I have installed Jasper reman engines, trans and differentials/axles many times over the years and never once had a problem. Try to figure out a way to make it happen if you can. They are better than new in a lot of cases. Try to call them asap and see if they can help you.

I used to use them so much when I lived in KC, Mo. and ran shops that they took me all expenses paid to the 2nd Brickyard 400 when Dale Earnhardt won and it was a blast. The Jasper sponsored car was a Ford driven by a young guy that I forget but I wore my Dale Earnhardt hat everywhere and even ate in the hospitality tent with the crew and everybody and refused to take the hat off.

Anyways, make it happen if you can.

OP
OP
02ncHoe

02ncHoe

Reaction score
I remember that well. Robert Pressley drove the Jasper car. What's a ballpark figure on what the tranny will cost?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Haven't priced in so long I don't know. More than others but when you put it in there it is rock solid. Probably about the same as the performance reman trans. I like to do things once, so that is why I use Jasper. Call them when you can and then compare if you want. Good luck.

Just like the rear main seal kit, use AC Delco. Any gasket kits, use FELPRO. Done and done.

OP
OP
02ncHoe

02ncHoe

Reaction score
Thanks my man. I'll update when I make my decision.

OP
OP
02ncHoe

02ncHoe

Reaction score
Shop called this morning and confirmed rear main is leaking. They agreed to do the repair for 500.00. My mechanic said he wouldn't tecommend a tranny swap since the truck has been maintained properly and the tranny shifts with no hick ups. Think I'll go ahead and replace the seal and save the extra coin at this time. Thanks again for the help.

kaoticx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would go ahead and change out the torque converter and whatever other seals are accessible while the transmission is pulled to get more life out of your transmission. Also the torque converter will shave almost a whole second off of the quarter time (.7 seconds). That's just me though. Lol.....

davidbeaver1

Reaction score
This is funny, but I am in the same boat right now. I just left my local shop being told I need a new rear main and water pump (both are leaking). Mine is a 2001 Yukon XL with 263K and the original motor and trans, new transfer case at 130K. This is also my daily driver and I travel quite a bit. It is also in great shape and I plan on keeping it till it rots!

Local shop is going to do rear main, cam timing sensor seal, oil pan and water pump for around $950. I was also wondering if I should swap the tranny while its out. It seems to shift fine and I have always maintained it swapping the fluid about every 40 to 50K. As you posted, I want this one and done, not having to think about it in 6 months.

I know of a salvage yard in Marion, NC called J&T and they specialize in these vehicles so I can get a complete tranny out of a wrecked Yukon for around $700. Now you have me thinking about getting the Jasper instead since a wrecked one would be a little risky.

Ezdaar posted that we should replace it with the 4L80 and never worry about it again. Not sure what is in mine now, but why are they better?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909