Need advice on 20 inch or 22 inch for Yukon Denali 2023

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjs3922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have 22"s on yukon and suburban. Ride is great my previous suburban had 20"s and never noticed a difference.

dcyy

Reaction score
This was a tug of war type question for me up until the allocation was received. I built and rebuilt the car several times on the website and just couldn’t decide. One of the major sticking points was the number and type of tires available in the factory size of the 22” wheel vs the 20”. I was lucky and got a chance to drive each. And there wasn’t much of a difference in ride quality but the 22” have less body roll. I really like the appearance of the Texas edition wheels. When Michelin released the defender ltx in the 22” factory size, it sealed the deal. I will say this though. If Chevrolet had the Texas edition style wheel in a 20” size, I would have gone with that because of the number of tire choices available. I would have bought the Michelin all terrain tire.
Ordered my 22 Denali with 22's(SF2 wheel)-they were on constraint and it came with 20" Bridgestone's. Finally got my 22's with Michelin LTX tires-to me no difference in ride or handling between the two and it looks better Before/After

Attachments

• IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    353.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0409.JPG
    IMG_0409.JPG
    389.3 KB · Views: 22

GatorRican

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

New to the forum here, lots of helpful responses so posting a question for some advice. I am trying to order 2023 Yukon Denali with Sunroof, the dealer says it will take 4 - 5 months but he has one coming that has above and 22" wheels + Onstar package. I read through internet people are torn between 20 & 22" wheels. Some say ride quality will suffer with one and others say handling will be worst. Does anyone have knowledge on this and can list pro\cons of one over the other from their experience, would appreciate it.

Regards,
Maverick
I have a Denali Ultimate with the 22s. Ride quality is quite good, although taller tires do have a slight impact on cornering. I prefer the look of the 22s, which fill the wheel well. However, they are more expensive.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

New to the forum here, lots of helpful responses so posting a question for some advice. I am trying to order 2023 Yukon Denali with Sunroof, the dealer says it will take 4 - 5 months but he has one coming that has above and 22" wheels + Onstar package. I read through internet people are torn between 20 & 22" wheels. Some say ride quality will suffer with one and others say handling will be worst. Does anyone have knowledge on this and can list pro\cons of one over the other from their experience, would appreciate it.

Regards,
Maverick
OnStar is something I avoid. On the Tahoe I purchased I was forced to get it, but I never activated it and I have disconnected it. I would rather have 20 inch wheels for a smooth ride. Your tires are the first step in a smooth ride.

jimgeb

Reaction score
With 20" tires you have a little more protection from the potholes in the Northeast.

rico387

Reaction score
I run the stock 22" Wheels in the summer w/ the stock Bridgestone tires (for now), and 20" w/ Bridgestone Blizzaks in the winter.

I don't really notice a ride quality difference; or if I do, it is so slight that it doesn't matter to me.

Handling: my belief is that with this high center of gravity, the treads will break loose long before any difference in sidewall height is noticable...its a bus, you don't drive it like a sports car. That said, handles great w/ both wheel sizes.

Furthermore, you can always find 20" take off's from almost any GMC or Chevy truck on craigslist or facebook marketplace at a big discount if you decide you want to go that route later. I'd take the bird in the hand...although you could consider waiting for the 2024?
Brilliant! Get the 22” at order and buy a new set of take off 20”. It would be way cheaper than if you got 20” and decided you couldn’t live without the 22”.
Btw- I have 20” and I put the GM Perf/Brembo calipers on the front and had no clearance issue.

keithcruiser

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a Denali Ultimate with the 22s. Ride quality is quite good, although taller tires do have a slight impact on cornering. I prefer the look of the 22s, which fill the wheel well. However, they are more expensive.
OnStar is something I avoid. On the Tahoe I purchased I was forced to get it, but I never activated it and I have disconnected it. I would rather have 20 inch wheels for a smooth ride. Your tires are the first step in a smooth ride.

keithcruiser

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I have driven Suburban/Yukons since 1981, owning 5 of them. The most recent is a 2018 Yukon Denali with 22” wheels. I found the ride a bit harsh compared to my previous Yukon with 20”. Both had Michelin Defenders as a direct comparison. I finally bit the bullet and bought a set of used 20” Denali wheels and new tires. The ride is improved on our occasionally pothole strewn roads. On a smooth highway both diameters perform equally well. The steering is marginally not as crisp as the 22” but who buys a full sized SUV for crisp steering? I am happier with the 20” wheels and certainly would not pay a premium for 22”. Like someone else said, the 20” tires are less expensive and probably more choices available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz