Mystery milkshake after pan gasket change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Instigator01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

New member here and of course looking for some help or guidance.

2001 denali LQ4 317k miles.

Swapped front diff due to some heavy chatter when pulling my boat. I thought what a great time to change the oil pick up o ring and pan gasket. I took my time and was very careful about each.And every step, including thoroughly cleaning the oil PAN and mating surfaces and reinstalled.Everything which seemed to go smooth no.Issues.

Refilled with oil and fired it up.Sounded great went for a quick test drive.Oil pressure was fine by the time I went a mile and back home.I had a serious rodknock. Did a quick search on YouTube?Most ideas were maybe somehow some.
R t v got sucked up into the oil pick up.

So here I am starting the whole process over again to remove the PAN as soon as I drain it, out comes fresh milkshake. I'm stunned I can't believe there's water in my oil. Seem like a lot too.Maybe an extra two or three quarts anyhow.

When I drained the oil to do the PAN gasket, the oil was black and fine.There was no indication of water in the oil.

 I carefully did the repair.And I am at a loss to how that coolant got in the pan. I didn't touch anything else on the engine.Only the oil cooler lines and the removal and installation of the front diff.

Now I'm getting ready to install a long block.And I don't want to run into the same problem.Can you guys tell me where to look to figure out after this seemingly simple repair?I ended up with a dead engine and an oil PAN full of coolant.I have no idea how it got in there.

Any help would sure be appreciated!

Thanks

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a cracked head. It may have just let go. It is common on these years.

Pop the valve covers off and look for a "clean" section by the head bolts. Below is a thread showing what my head looked like.

OP
OP
I

Instigator01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It crossed my mind, but it is too coincidental to The timing of the repair.

The engine still runs absolutely perfect.No misfires no check engine lights, idles completely smooth.

As I pull it apart, I'll be checking in take manifold gasket. And I might be left with no choice but to change the oil cooler/radiator Just to be sure they're not corrupted.

Is there some way the water pump could have failed and dumped coolant down the front of the motor into the pan?

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

New member here and of course looking for some help or guidance.

2001 denali LQ4 317k miles.

Swapped front diff due to some heavy chatter when pulling my boat. I thought what a great time to change the oil pick up o ring and pan gasket. I took my time and was very careful about each.And every step, including thoroughly cleaning the oil PAN and mating surfaces and reinstalled.Everything which seemed to go smooth no.Issues.

Refilled with oil and fired it up.Sounded great went for a quick test drive.Oil pressure was fine by the time I went a mile and back home.I had a serious rodknock. Did a quick search on YouTube?Most ideas were maybe somehow some.
R t v got sucked up into the oil pick up.

So here I am starting the whole process over again to remove the PAN as soon as I drain it, out comes fresh milkshake. I'm stunned I can't believe there's water in my oil. Seem like a lot too.Maybe an extra two or three quarts anyhow.

When I drained the oil to do the PAN gasket, the oil was black and fine.There was no indication of water in the oil.

 I carefully did the repair.And I am at a loss to how that coolant got in the pan. I didn't touch anything else on the engine.Only the oil cooler lines and the removal and installation of the front diff.

Now I'm getting ready to install a long block.And I don't want to run into the same problem.Can you guys tell me where to look to figure out after this seemingly simple repair?I ended up with a dead engine and an oil PAN full of coolant.I have no idea how it got in there.

Any help would sure be appreciated!

Thanks
"When you refilled the engine with oil." Another likely source is that the oil jug had been used to hold antifreeze.

OP
OP
I

Instigator01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
20240515_125402.jpg20240515_125452.jpg20240515_125452.jpg20240515_125452.jpg20240515_125452.jpg20240515_125402.jpg

Attachments

• 20240515_125349.jpg
    20240515_125349.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240515_125342.jpg
    20240515_125342.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
I

Instigator01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like I found the problem.Driver side water pump connection was leaking.You can see in the picture how it's cleaned the front of the timing chain cover.

I must not have got the pan gasket on correctly And coolant leaked into whatever gap there might be.

Still seems odd.There was no sign of coolant leak but it seems the picture shows It might have been a pretty steady flow.

Once I Pull the motor I'll inspect that pan gasket and see where I screwed up.

Seems like the only way coolant could have got into that pan.

I will do a follow up once I get more information.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoshi101