My trucks need some love

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have neglected them for too long. Fist up is the Tahoe...of course. I am looking to freshen her up a bit and while I am at it I think I should try and squeeze a little more from the old girl. After the Tahoe will be the suburban, most likely the same mods for that.

Keeping this on a reasonable budget too....

Tahoe current mods: HT383E, K&N FIPK, custom tuned, shorties, high flow cats and Y pipe, borla cat back.

Suburban: newer motor with a very mild cam, Volant intake, custom tuned, flow master 50 series with 3" tubing.

So what's in store for the Tahoe? I re-worked it a long time ago, close to 7-8 years and 50-60K miles. A tune up is in store, plugs, cap, rotor, wires. I am interested in the updated spider too. Is it worth it? Mine is stock with 186K miles so it couldn't hurt. I have been debating porting the throttle body and modifying the blade too. As much as I would love to super charge it, it is not in the budget these days.

So hit me with some options or ideas please. FYI, I did start thinking about a new intake (Marine or GMPP ram jet) Marine would be ideal but lately not seeing much out there. Plus my time is very limited. I get home on weekends and try to spend most of that hanging out with the family instead of under a hood so a complete unit would be ideal.

Thanks.

00Caddy

Reaction score
In my old yukon, (deceased... poor girl) i put the new updated spider in. The old one in it was fine. I just had a leaking intake gasket... So i replaced the gasket and the spider while i was in there. Pretty easy job if you have the tools. It was a great notice in driveablilty for me. The old spider had the motor slightly surging at idle. It also had a slight ticking noise. The new spider went in, in about 5 hours (5 hours due to extensive cleaning and chekcing other things while i was in there). Started right up and noticed a huge difference in the idle. The truck stopped its slight surge and shake, it just felt a little more 'snappy' so to say... I hope that makes sense. I would definetely do the spider! My new 2000 escalade will have it done to it eventually. Its one of those youll notice the difference if you know what your looking for before and after the fix. Sorry for the long post.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

To add: My yukon had 150k miles on it roughly when the swap was done. The new spiders relocate the injector farther down in the intake, which is better. Also the cheapest i ever found it a year ago was on amazon for like 350ish

Phone Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the new spider, Vmax plenum spacer and ported throttle body with the blade mod all at the same time. Those along with the HT383, made a real feel difference.

OP
OP
bowtiefreak

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to do the spider, it can't hurt since I will be giving it a tune up. The Plenum is still a debate for me too

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I just read across many forums and Dino charts, that spacer is a great mod!
Defiantly do it if your going to pop the manifold apart.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I've got the spider upgrade as well as the VMax plenum spacer... put them in when I was replacing the intake manifold gaskets. Both were installed before the HT383E transplant - made a nice difference in the 5.7L, and I can only assume the differences would be noticeable in the 383 if I had a "before" observation to compare against.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Bow, do the spider, intake section, the 411pcm mod and recalibrate/scan tune it for the ht383e and mods. The marine mod is going to get involved and time consuming for now.

eswarden

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't think you can do the spacer and have the K&N CAI. Space is limited already. Unless you have a cowl hood of course.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
You noticed. My plenum mod is on hold till I can afford this hood:

GHG102bg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM