My New Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a great compliment, thanks.

I do like the way the rims look, but you lose a lot of utility going with a bigger rim. My current truck, a Z71 Sierra, has 18" rims, and has great tires. I don't go rock crawling, but I do often have to deal with mud and the occasional rocky hill at the ranch, as well as tow several trailers. I like to be able to go where I want without having to worry about expensive rims with no sidewall. I live in the city, though, so I don't want to deal with driving a serious offroad vehicle on the freeway. I think the 18" or 20" rims are a fine size for compromise on both looks, on-road performance, and off-road capability. One of the big knocks on the 22" wheels, is the severe limitation of tire selection. On TireRack.com, there are only about a half dozen tires available in the correct size, and my favorite tire isn't one of them.

To each their own. Just because I drive off-road and tow a 5500lb trailer doesn't mean that someone else shouldn't have high performance street tires or 100K mile all-season tires on whatever size rim they want.

:cheers:

I'm kind of weird like that. I'm not in the mainstream of what consumers want. :crazy: <--- me

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

Oh, and I'm probably closer to 80 than you are. ;)

OP
OP
T

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is hitting the dealer today. The conversation about the rims is going to be had at that point. We'll see how it goes.

zxlr88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, if you are interested in doing a swap for the 20's, I would be willing to trade you. I have the chrome 20's and barely 2000 miles on them. I really like this thread though. So cool!

Last edited:

zxlr88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is the version of the wheel I have.

Attachments

• 0219151945b.jpg
    0219151945b.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
T

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Joel, I appreciate the offer. I'm making a deal with the dealer to throw in a set of the NZG wheels along with what's on there. That way I can get the tires that I want, and I'll probably just sell the Q7M wheels with the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas on it. The NZGs are basically the same shape as your wheels, but not chrome.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Another day passes and my truck still hasn't shown up at the dealer. Joel, that is a fine looking truck you have. Well done! Is that the Iridium, or the purpleish color (the name escapes me at the moment.) I would jump on either of those colors if I wasn't in Texas and really wanted a white truck.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The delivery to the dealer is very slow,sometimes it taken week + to the dealer receive the car.
[emoji19] [emoji577]

OP
OP
T

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood, thanks. The frustrating thing isn't necessarily the amount of time (although 7 days for 5 miles is pretty bad), but that it was scheduled on Monday, and now will be (at least) two days overdue, as per the shipper. I literally drive by the plant several times a week. I'd be happy to just pick it up and drive it to the dealer, myself.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fantastic post! FWIW, I agree with you about the extra large wheels. I came from a 3/4 ton w/18" wheels. I got the Denali with the 20"s because I couldn't go any smaller. Anyway, I put the Nokian All-Terrain tires I like on them and am quite happy. I have a set of studded tires that are on 17" tires! Those mountain roads get rough when they're covered in snow and ice.

If you didn't order it with the vehicle, GM has a skid plate kit you might want to think about. These things don't have all that much ground clearance.

Attachments

• IMG_5120.jpg
    IMG_5120.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4818.jpg
    IMG_4818.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
T

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roger, that! I did have my eye on the skid plates. I was just going to order it from a parts discounter and then put it on myself. Is that what you did?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts