My New Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went down to buy a GMC Yukon XL, and quickly discovered that I am in the minority. By that, I mean that the typical customer for these trucks values things I don't, and vice-versa.

I wanted the practical stuff, like the bigger engine, 2nd row bench seat, smaller wheels with large sidewalls, light colored exterior and light colored interior. I live in Texas, and can't understand people who drive Black over Black vehicles. I'm not judging, I just don't understand it. I'm not into leather, chrome, sparkly paint, and captain's chairs.

My perfect vehicle would be the Yukon XL version of the Sierra I drive now: Bench seats on every row, white paint, light gray cloth interior, the big engine with heavy duty running gear, etc.

GM basically does not make the vehicle I really want, so I re-prioritized and custom ordered a Denali. Big engine, 8 passenger, and the closest colors I could get to what I want. The only other way to get the 6.2L is to get the Caddy, and that was even farther down the road than what I wanted.

Upon placing the order, my friend informed me that if I gave him the order number, he could schedule the truck to be built on a day that I could "walk it through." I figured this is a once in a lifetime chance to watch my own vehicle be built, so on Wednesday of this week, I went to the plant and followed it down the assembly line.

There are some great people that work there. I never volunteered who I was, but many of them would ask what I was doing, and when they found out that they had their hands on my truck at that moment, many of them expressed great appreciation for keeping them working, and I really sensed a desire to build a quality vehicle.

The overall experience was amazing. I will follow this up with some pictures that I took.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "Museum". The 10,000,000 Suburban will be housed here when it comes back from the Progressive Auto Show.
IMG_6423_zpsw7clshqw.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

The first time I could see my truck in the buffer at the beginning of the line.
IMG_6428_zps418pvezl.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Coming down the hill to get the VIN plate put on the body.
IMG_6431_zpsk7jcqjrl.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Heading down the line, getting things added.
IMG_6437_zpswb7gupyh.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Some carpet, rear air, taillights...
IMG_6449_zpshgpnhdwb.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

The IP (Instrument Panel) station
IMG_6450_zpsn4moboxr.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

The rear bench seat that prompted the whole special order in the first place
IMG_6455_zpscsz7pfdj.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

Center console
IMG_6456_zpspkafqcgj.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Front seats
IMG_6459_zpsway9laij.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

The "finished" body
IMG_6462_zpsdsxghp5v.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

The frame and drivetrain assembly
IMG_6463_zpssg1wvsjs.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

6.2L
IMG_6464_zpsxb7fakgp.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Magnetic Ride
IMG_6465_zpst5mllnrq.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Rolling chassis, about to get the body dropped on it
IMG_6471_zpsxjyrfyh0.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

About to be taken off the trolley and put on the conveyor
IMG_6470_zpsmvoh7ahk.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Getting the front fenders
IMG_6473_zpszxpdkxwg.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Hood
IMG_6475_zpsvh71athl.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Headlights
IMG_6476_zps3paiclqh.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Front facia
IMG_6477_zpsymbjg4se.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Off she goes to be tested
IMG_6478_zpsdey75n0r.jpg

ericandrews

Reaction score
How long did it the process take from your first picture to last?

Very cool. I would have loved to do this.

I'm guessing it still had to be delivered to the dealer for you to pick up correct?

OP
OP
T

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was 7.5 hours from the first picture until it drove to the storage lot. That included the total of 1 hour of breaks (two 15m breaks and a 30m lunch) that the whole plant stops for. So basically, 6.5 hours of assembly. The body was welded and painted last week before I got there.

You are correct, I have to pick it up from the dealer. The painful part is that it was fully complete and ready to go on Wednesday, but probably won't be ready for pickup until next Wednesday. It is getting delivered to the dealer some time on Monday and then should be ready by Wednesday. Also painful is that the delivery charge is $1500 and it is about 5 miles to the dealer.

It's Classic GMC, but don't take that as an endorsement. It's my second vehicle from them, and neither experience has been great. They screwed up my order, which is why I have those 22" dent magnets on there instead of something with some sidewalls. They look nice, but you can't get the tire I like in that size.

PokerMunkee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the best thread on this site!!

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Count it as a blessing, the 22s should be the only option on these trucks. 20s just are too small. Sidewall is for Cadillacs with 80+ year olds at the wheel....

Did you speak to someone about the wheels being wrong? That had to be a funny conversation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts