My From Start to Finish 6.0L Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dumb questions are better than blowing up a new motor :cheers:

i guess i dont mean dumb questions, more of making sure you completely understand something even if it takes a few times lol
Well, with me it might take more than just a few times....

Talking with Vinci Performance and Texas Speed with my set up I could run 1.8 ratio rockers but with little advantage for what I'm trying to achieve. Essentially the 1.7 ratio affords almost the same improvements as the 1.8 with less strain on the valvetrain.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday we took Molly (she will be 15 in May) to the vet for a routine examination and her 3 year rabies shot. During the exam, the vet identified a heart murmur (rated 3 out 6 severity).

View attachment 426414

Talking to her and possible options - her recommendation was for her to see a cardiologist to determine exact cause and health of the heart. My first response was that she was approaching 15 and I was not sure if I wanted to spend that kind of money. Looked down and Molly was looking directly at me with her puppy eyes. Yes, she may be going on 15, but she still acts like a puppy. So, I scheduled an appointment with a cardiologist May 23rd to discuss options.
Happy Birthday to this beautiful girl who has brought so much joy and happiness to our family. Quite frankly has taught me how to stay young at heart - even after 15 years she is such a puppy. Our appointment was all very good news. Although she has a mild case of degenerative valve disease she received a positive diagnosis - no Medication, no restriction to diet, and no restrictions to all activities. Blood pressure was normal, breathing rate was normal and heart size and chambers all look great. She is just getting old like all of us.imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On another note, from a build perspective:
1. I heard back from Black Bear Performance and they had some questions associated with the build and some other particular questions related to compression ratios.
2. Heard back from Roger (Vinci Performance) and he computer required push rods lengths based on the information I provided. Will verify - but thought that was pretty cool how he came up with the recommended length.
3. Heard back from Circe D on their recommendation for a torque converter. Emailed back and forth and pretty happy their suggestion.
4. Getting ready to install sensors and such and realized that I did no have the equivalent of the coolant "plug" for the passenger side of the cylinder head. The driver's side is the coolant temp sensor. Ordered the ICT billet (551158). I also ordered the GM OEM equivalent (11610259 - which was $6.99) in case that ICT did not work out.

Moving forward with this build after a long delay.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to be a very busy Memorial Day weekend for us with our family coming in town and helping us honor this great day. May not post for a few days depending on timing of the visits. So looking forward to spending time with the grand babies. Hope you all have a great weekend and enjoy the special celebration and reflection of the cost of our freedom.

OIP.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, reading through my last several threads I was not clear on the compressed thickness of the head gaskets I will be using. When I ordered my heads I was talking to a senior tech at Summit Racing and he said based on what I was building and the information I gave him that the 0.055 gaskets would be great for my build. Turns out I think his suggestion is perfect for me.

This geek wants to know- You said it should yield 11:1 SCR (which is great). But, what are the other details such as piston volume? I'm curious of the quench height and if you measured all eight pistons. In factory form, they come out of the hole around .008" to .012", and often around that range on the same block with the corner cylinders having the largest differences.

.055" gaskets are slightly thicker than OEM. Factoring that the block has been decked (but minimally as a clean-up?) and the heads likely have less meat on them than factory heads, I'm assuming the pistons are factory spec. I'm sure you've covered all of this already but it's been a while.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This geek wants to know- You said it should yield 11:1 SCR (which is great). But, what are the other details such as piston volume? I'm curious of the quench height and if you measured all eight pistons. In factory form, they come out of the hole around .008" to .012", and often around that range on the same block with the corner cylinders having the largest differences.

.055" gaskets are slightly thicker than OEM. Factoring that the block has been decked (but minimally as a clean-up?) and the heads likely have less meat on them than factory heads, I'm assuming the pistons are factory spec. I'm sure you've covered all of this already but it's been a while.
Thanks for your great insights and recommendations throughout this build. I don't have the exact numbers with me at the moment. But I did work with both Texas Speed and Summit Racing, providing both companies with my measurements. I do remember there was negligible difference between the corners and the middle cylinders. Only surface prepping was conducted on the block. With the style of pistons I'm using and the heads I picked along with the other measurements - it was essentially a compromise between compression ratio and quench. Both gave me ranges of head gasket to use with Summit Racing recommending a slight thicker gasket. Texas Speed provided me the rotating assembly and was confident this combination would be great for what I was trying to achieve. Deck height, measured at the crown (lowest point on piston) was .006 below the surface Shown earlier in this thread). However, the piston has a raised section (can't remember that exact number, in my notes I don't have with me) that extends into the chamber of the head. Black Bear Performance has my information and will be giving their assessment too. Quench is a little higher than I would like. Still weighing options and determine whether I will do something about it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Five3brian

Latest posts