My Experience Towing with a '17 Suburban 5.3L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdebacker

Reaction score
I know there are people who have talked about what they've towed, but I wanted to share my experience towing a fairly heavy trailer over a 7 hour trip.

Vehicle is a '17 Chevrolet Suburban Premier 4x4 with 91k on it. D
It does have magneride/air suspension and the Max Trailer Package. Only mods I have is a 2.5"/1.5" leveling kit and I upgraded to 10-PLY 33" tires. Nothing performance related.

Trailer in mention was a 20' x 83" tandem axle trailer hauling a 1982 Chevrolet K10 shortwide I bought off of my buddy. There was NO weight distribution hitch.20230524_122136.jpg
I stopped at a CAT scale and weighed myself at 13,860 pounds with 7780 lb pounds on the vehicle and 6040 lb on the trailer. I realized I had too much tongue weight, but went with it anyway.

Trip was from Casper, WY to Snowmass Village, CO, which is approximately 390 miles.

Air suspension kept it riding well and prevented it from sagging. Even with a high tongue weight, it kept it solid and didn't bounce uncontrollably.

On the downhills, tow/haul would automatically downshift to help hold on hills, and I used the trailer brakes. If I used the vehicle brakes on steep downhills, it would start to squirm a bit, so I kept with trailer brakes.

I haven't done the thermostat/pill flip thing other people have on these trans, but the trans fluid temp never got above 200° towing it. I was surprised.

Power...well it's a 5.3L. It comfortably pulled at 70 mph, but would struggle on the uphill, especially because the transmission didn't want to downshift enough to throw the revs up. I assume it was a safety thing since it doesn't do that normally.

I hand calculated the MPG and hovered between 9.8 MPG and 12.2 MPG depending on hills.Screenshot_20230524_164535_Weigh My Truck.jpg

Overall, I wish it had more power and gears like a '18+ Denali, but I wouldn't hesitate to haul weight like that through the mountains again. It may have pulled it slow, but it pulled it safely and very controlled.

OP
OP
tdebacker

tdebacker

Reaction score
You can do a re-weigh by pulling forward or in your case backing up so that each axle is on a different scale, then you can subtract for the tongue weight.
I don't think my axles are spaced enough to have separate axle weightings on the scale.

gonatee

Reaction score
I get flashed at night when im towing with the 2.5 levelling kit. Think the back magnaride spacer links need to be longer or shortened to bring the rear up a lil bot more...

OP
OP
tdebacker

tdebacker

Reaction score
I get flashed at night when im towing with the 2.5 levelling kit. Think the back magnaride spacer links need to be longer or shortened to bring the rear up a lil bot more...
I agree. I put new front assemblies when I installed the 2.5/1.5 leveling kit and I think the front sits higher now.

I'm thinking to put 2" rear blocks, maybe 2.5", and then build custom brackets for the ride height sensors.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you able to adjust the brake control unit? On my Techonsha I adjust it so that it applies the trailer brakes just before the TV brakes engage. This helps avoid any squirminess.

OP
OP
tdebacker

tdebacker

Reaction score
Are you able to adjust the brake control unit? On my Techonsha I adjust it so that it applies the trailer brakes just before the TV brakes engage. This helps avoid any squirminess.
Factory brake controller is proportional, so it applies as much pressure as you do, with the gain being how strong the maximum pressure is.

I don't think there's an option to set the trailer brakes first.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Techonsha has a "boost" which I guess is equivalent to your gain control. Did you try increasing the gain slightly so that you would have more braking on the trailer than the truck?

Maybe it was just the way the Techonsha works (it is a proportional system too), but when I just touch the brakes I can feel the trailer pull slightly on the truck. I had no squirminess at all. However, the use of a WDH probably helped too by keeping more weight transferred to the front wheels.

RobH

Reaction score
I would speculate that your weights that are labeled on the weight ticket as

Steer Axle -- 7780 lbs
Drive Axle -- 6080 lbs
Trailer
Gross -- 13,860

are actually

Surburban -- 7780 lbs with both Suburban axles on the front pad
Trailer -- 6080 lbs with the trailer axles on the second pad where the Suburban rear axle should have been.

There is no way your Suburban could have weighed 13,860 pounds and the trailer nothing.

Visually, the Suburban front end is up in the air compared to the back end of the Surburban. It doesn't make sense that the rear axle weight was less than the front axle weight and the trailer weight was "0" as the weight ticket shows. That dual axle trailer probably weighs well over a ton empty. The people inside at the weight counter don't know how you are positioned on the three pads and whether your ticket makes sense.

I'm glad that you were able to make the trip successfully. But your rig was probably out of limits for tongue weight, total trailer weight, and possibly rear axle weight and tire ratings. With a load bearing hitch, the 2017 Suburban tow limits are 600 pound tongue weight and 5,000 pound trailer weight. See the attached 2017 GM Trailering Guide excerpts. Therefore, squirminess.

My Tahoe's axles are spaced so that I can put the forward axle on the forward weighing plate, the rear axle on the second weighing plate, and my travel trailer axle on the third weighing plate.
2022_04_22_Bluebonnet.JPG
Here is a typical weight ticket for me.
Steer Axle -- 2520
Drive Axle -- 3477
Trailer -- 2820

As you can see, the total weight on the Tahoe's axles and tires is 5,997 pounds.

To get my trailer tongue weight,

1) I get a ticket with the three axles listed and compute the Tahoe weight with the trailer attached.
2) I pull off the scale and unhitch the trailer.
3) I get a second weighing of the Tahoe without the trailer.
4) The difference between the Tahoe weight with and without the trailer is the trailer tongue weight.

There are five weight limits

Front axle weight
Rear Axle weight
Suburban weight
Trailer total weight
Trailer tongue weight

The max Front axle and Rear axle weights will be on a sticker that looks like this one for my Tahoe, found on the driver's door opening.
Cert_Label_1.JPG
They are identified as
GAWR FRT - Gross Axle Weight Rating Front
GAWR RR - Gross Axle Weight Rating Rear

The max trailer tongue weight with and without a weight distribution hitch are found in the Owner's Manual or the Trailering Guide. See page 13 of the attached GM 2017 Trailering Guide Excerpts. Not on the hitch. The hitch is probably manufactured to fit on Tahoes, Suburbans, one-half ton pickups with V6 engines, three quarter ton pickups, vans, etc. Maybe even a one-ton pickup. The hitch manufacturer does not know on what vehicle the hitch will be installed. That is why the sticker on the hitch says "Tow vehicle maximum trailer rating may be less."
Hitch_Label.jpg

FWIW and your weights may vary. :)

Attachments

• Chevrolet_2017_Trailering_Guide_Excerpts.pdf
    658 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: