MY Camshaft might be messed up! 09 5.3 Suburban NEED HELP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I emailed Vinci with this question...
"I have a 2008 Chevy Suburban 1500 2wd with the LMG 5.3L (Flex fuel) engine and the 4L60E (4 speed) transmission.

It has 3:73 rear gears and I am running 285/40/22 tires (31" diameter).

I live in Northeast Florida (sea level).

It has an Airaid MIT intake tube and high flow air filter in the factory air box.

The truck also has a set of ceramic coated JBA Cat4ward (shorty) headers, no cats and a full exhaust through a 3 chamber Magnaflow muffler and has been custom tuned by Diablew with a Diablo sport tuner.

It is a 6,000 lb truck, I couldn't care less about peak HP numbers or high RPM. The truck is mostly driven around town with an occasional road trip with the family.

I would like to delete the AFM system and gain as much Torque down low and mid range as possible. I would also like some chop at idle without sacrificing vacuum and I don't want to change the torque converter.

What would you recommend for my goals (cam, etc.)?"

and this is what he said...

" I would recommend the VHP 553 camshaft. 208/216 530/530 113 +5A. It is designed for high torque gains with a moderate choppy idle."

The lope isn't a requirement for me but it would be cool if it had a little chop to it.

What do you think?
I would take anything Roger Vinci says as gospel. The man knows his shit. He sure helped me out with The Beast as far as cam, springs, stall, rockers and blower and getting the most out of it all. He answered a lot of questions for me, sometimes even emailing me back on weekends. Great dude, very knowledgeable.