My 1st GMT800 build...do's/dont's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04yuke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i just purchased an 04 Yukon SLT today. It's my first gmt800 rig. I've been more of a jeep (wrangler and grand cherokee) guy until now. The vehicle's 1st 10 yrs were hiway miles, rest were grocery getter. 251k miles w/5.3 v8. 4x4.

What should I tackle first?

> Goal is to have a light/moderate off roader but nothing extreme. I plan on running 33's (plenty of tread life on the existing 265/70/16's so will kick the tread can down the road a bit longer). My point being, no need to get stratospheric with lift, a level kit may get me clearance. I do have the Z55 autoride RPO but uncertain if it's still operating. I don't know what if any challenges that presents for any suspension mods.
> I would like to improve the approach angle as well. And would love to do so without a $1500+ plus front bumber.
> I'd like winch also at some point.
> The 3rd row will come out and middle seats tumbled forward to make room for the fur kids (real kids are all grown now)
> The brakes seem ok.
> Previous owner replaced both fuel and water pumps within the last year.
> We enjoy kayaking so any rooftop suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated

I have some known issues to resolve b4 getting to the fun stuff
* Power to driver's door module (typical flex wear at the door hinge boot suspected)
* Typical instrument cluster issues (will just have it totally rebuilt)
* Gas struts on lift gate need replaced
* It appears to have been decently serviced but all fluids will be changed. (Any must-do's or don't-do's???)
* It has a ton of electrical error codes taken from the dbII scanner. Will do a reset after instr cluster repaired & replaced to see what comes up.

I'll be spending a lot of time cruising the threads on this forum. I'm looking forward to the fun. Thanking everyone in advance for any & all advice/recommendations!

MTHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the thread! Sounds like a pretty fun project you have on your hands. Show us your ride!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonawhie61989