Moving 2nd row of seats back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it would be possible...... easily actually if you know how to weld and design a new frame to sopport the seat.

Yup :waytogo: shouldn't be too difficult....long as you don't mind barreling through all the Dynamat

B

Copper&Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the pictures of the Drivers side 2nd row. There is only 1 step not two, my bad...
I would think if you chop the front support and where the step in the support drops, so that you have the same seat bottom angle as stock, and then weld the remaining sections to some flat stock for some nice feet. The front legs will have to be longer of course b/c they wil still be in the lower portion of the cabin, and the back will be in the cargo area portion. The studs sticking out of the floor will need to be cut, and the carpet replaced to cover the hole, or if you want floor mats to cover it up. to mount it to the floor I would use bolts through the flat stock welded to the support, through the floor, through another piece of flat stock then though the nut on the bottom side. Grade A bolts too, wouldn't want that bench breaking loose in a crash.

PA230436.gif

PA230435.gif

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
word i forgot the seat was flat.. shit.. MOVE IT

OP
OP
B

bossku69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. I talked to a family friend who said this looks total possible and a lot easier than thought.

Problem... the dealership I bought it through sold me a "GM Extended Bumper to Bumper Warranty" which I found out today is through a 3rd party company. I had the sales manager look through the paperwork and says if any "aftermarket" or "non OEM" changes are done, warranty is VOID! :emotions122:

I'm pretty livid because I specifically asked this when I bought the car because I had full intentions on replacing the head unit... the sales guy even gave me the name and number of a relative of his who runs a car stereo company.

So now I dont know what to do. I never signed the actual extended warranty paperwork from the 3rd party company, but did give them power of attorney for documents related to the vehicle so I'm sure they signed on my behalf (this is pretty standard, I spoke to an attorney today after I got off the phone).

In any case, the sales guy called me back this evening to apologize and said he had no idea. He said hes sold dozens of these warranties a month with their used inventory and knows a lot of customer make after market changes to their cars.

I'm going to be pretty heated if I just bough this car less than two weeks ago and can not make any changes for 4 years to the vehicle

OP
OP
B

bossku69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

excellent post :cheers:

Ive had to quote this before in the past with dealing with a warranty problem with the dealership. Long story short... the warranty companies will find any reason why they will not have to pay for something. In my case, I had an aftermarket alarm system and remote start put in a car and the transmission died. They warranty company tried to say that the remote start may have caused electrical problems in the car which caused the transmission to shift differently than normal and they would not cover the damages

The part that I'm concerned about is replacing the head unit does involve changing some wiring in the car, which if anything electronic goes out, I dont want them to point blame.

The sales guy did say that he knows some people were covered, but never really read the details of the warranty. He said that as long as everything was "professionally" done I should "be fine" but I think I'll wait until monday and get something in writing from the warranty company

yooformula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought that they couldnt deny your warranty if the failed item had nothing to do with the modified part. Imo, I would still swap out the headunit like you planned and if something went wrong down the road, put the stock one back in until warranty work was done. Its not that hard to swap a deck when you use wiring harnesses.

Alaxgoaly8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know one of the rules in a forum is to not revive a 15 year old thread, but was thinking if a specially made metal rectangle piece that allowed for a hole in one end to slide over the original bolt and a threaded bolt the same as the original size on the other end of the rectangle (could be 1 2 or 3 inches offset from original) that the seat would sit on (like the original). Coat would be for the metal shop to make 8 of them (for each bolt) and 8 additional Nuts to secure them.

Does this hold water? It would make it so you didn't have to cut or weld anything onto the actual frame. Could just cut a slit in the carpet so you can get the metal piece under it (it'd be under the seat so no one will see the slit). PXL_20230214_224924913.jpg

Bad drawing for reference.

Alaxgoaly8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nevermind... Just realized it wouldn't work with the rear bolts, but I wonder if you could use that for the front bolts and then maybe drill a hole in the seat frame to line up with the back bolt. I'll have to take a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts