Motor swap tranny issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mci007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
4.8 to LQ4 6.0 Motor swap tranny issues

Help,

I have a 2004 chevy tahoe with a 4.8 liter, I found a motor from a salvage yard and bought it, it was supposed to be a 6.0 liter LQ9 and as it ends up it is a LQ4 with cast iron heads, i installed the motor and i thought the torque converter seemed a little tight against the flex plate, I had to loosen the bottom 2 bolts on the tranny to allow me to move the flex plate and torque converter to line up the bolt holes, and yes it was in all the way, (double checked), as it turns out, I started the motor and it runs great, BUT, it fried the tranny in 30 seconds, there is not enough room in the bell housing for the torque converter with this new motor, is there a different torque converter that i can use.

The torque converter is pressing up against the flex plate too much, maybe by a half inch too much, i think this motor is a 99 to 2001 LQ4 with cast iron heads.

My tranny is a 4L60e.

Thanks.

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The older iron headed lq4 had a longer crankshaft, which is whats causing the fitment problem.

OP
OP
M

mci007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones help, I found a shop that fixed my fitment problem, California Performance Transmission in Huntington Beach, CA made me a custom torque converter and it works great, the converter was only 375.00 + tax.
These guys knew exactly what i needed before i even finished telling them my problem, they kept the spec's for my converter so that others from this forum that have the same problem can just call up and get the same fix.

You can use your stock flexplate and there custom torque converter.

2000 LQ4 6.0 Liter motor bolted to a 4L60e trans

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts