Misfire on cylinder 4 at idle only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jfriday

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everybody, new to the forum and looking for some help...

I recently purchased a 99 Tahoe with a 350 vortec, great shape body wise for the year, 124k miles. I purchased it knowing there was a misfire on cylinder 4. It only occurs at idle - as soon as you touch the throttle, it's smooth as silk and performs perfectly. The dealer I bought it from said they replaced an injector and it didn't solve the problem.

Took it to my mechanic, performed a compression check, inspected the valves and thought maybe the injector that was replaced was faulty. He replaced the injector, and still the same issue exists. He also looked at plugs/wires, and a handful of other basic possibilities that may be causing this. He's determined to figure it out, but I don't need to be putting more money into this thing than what I paid for it. Does anyone have an idea of what this issue could possibly be? The dealer had said they believed it to be possibly a wiring issue, maybe from a rodent or something chewing through...they had said one of the owners was using it as a personal vehicle before the pandemic and it was operating fine at that time. When the lockdowns/business closures happened, they let it sit for a few months. When they returned to it after a few months, it was missing on cylinder 4, only at idle.

Thanks in advance for the help, I really like this thing and want to get it on the road...

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one cylinder could be an intake manifold leak. i believe to do the injectors only the top half comes off. if the lower is leaking right at cylinder 4 it would cause issues just with that cylinder. other possibilities is just a simple distributor cap replacement. 5.7 distributor caps are known to potentially burn through internally which can cause problems with just 1 cylinder. its not a common issue but it is a known potential. other possible would be a lifter of valve issue brought about from it sitting. i would think it would be noticed during a compression test but can be easily missed if its just a single mechanic doing the work.

OP
OP
J

Jfriday

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Drakon, thanks for your response! I know the dealer said he also did a compression check too, so I'm really hoping that's not the issue. I'll question the intake manifold gasket with my guy, is there a way to test that for failure other than what it's currently doing?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d second the intake gasket leak. With 124k miles, it’s entirely possible that it’s still running the factory gaskets. Coolant leaks usually give it away (any coolant loss?) but a pressure test may show something.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try the eliminate all other causes before intake gaskets, And would update spider while intake off. Try spark plug, wire, distributor cap, and valve adjustment first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442

Latest posts