Mild cam upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of duration for a street camshaft. It'll need a converter in an SUV. Low lift is good for street and not having to mess with valvetrain.

The engine dyno numbers are not real world. It would be nice if these companies actually did it the old way, in the car/truck and at the track! Real world testing! Tell us step by step what was done to maximize the cam's performance after the baseline runs of before and after camshaft installation.

There's a Crane Cam that I like but its engine dyno numbers are 48 horsepower and these engine dyno tests are almost always done with long tube headers.

I've heard on many occasions that long tubes alone are good for ~20 HP (when tuned accordingly). If this is true, would that cam be good for ~28 or 48 additionally? You have that Crane cam spec sheet or a link handy? I assume you like it because it plays nice with the stock converter, doesn't sacrifice low-end, etc.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard on many occasions that long tubes alone are good for ~20 HP (when tuned accordingly). If this is true, would that cam be good for ~28 or 48 additionally? You have that Crane cam spec sheet or a link handy? I assume you like it because it plays nice with the stock converter, doesn't sacrifice low-end, etc.

Exactly! But they also sit there with their laptops and squeeze every ounce of power out of them.

Yes, I have it here somewhere...

I like the smaller of the two. The 2007-2009 LMG, LY5 and LC9 do not have VVT and have single pattern camshafts with more lift and more duration on the intake side compared with the 2010-2014 LMG and LC9. They used camshafts with less lift, less duration on the intake and more on the exhaust to take advantage of the benefits of VVT technology. This gave them a 1 mpg advantage with city mileage and 1-2 mpg on the highway mileage and brought the torque curve down from 4400 rpms to 4000 rpms.

Having said all that, the single pattern cam works really well sans VVT so I'm sticking with it. Torque band is down low, no need for a high stall converter, power band is unchanged as well; no need for more than 5800 rpms. Hot Rod or one of the old car mags did a test of these at the end of their article and they were the only camshafts to not lose torque over the stock camshafts whereas all the others did at some point and made power high in their rpm band.

http://www.cranecams.com/view.php?s_id=116

1449501_5_8L-01.png
1449541_5_8L.png

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vinci's MTR065 appears to be the same as the 1449541 and Cam Motion offers similar drop in camshafts where the springs do not have to be changed.

These graphs were also done on engine dynos with long tube headers, electric water pumps, 40lb injectors, etc. So I reckon real world figures would be half as much by just dropping it in. A good tune maybe another 10 horses and refine it, fix its manners if you will.

Bucky1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read above that the heads have to come off to change lifters? Can we not get them out on the LS motors with the intake off only?
I have a 2011 Denali with the 6.2L. 103k miles.
If there is one thing I read about being an issue, it seems to be problems with the DOD system. Is there any available cam with better low end responsiveness than stock?(seldom does this engine see higher rpm) Is doing away with the DOD really detrimental to the fuel consumption? how does VVT come into the conversation?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read above that the heads have to come off to change lifters? Can we not get them out on the LS motors with the intake off only?
I have a 2011 Denali with the 6.2L. 103k miles.
If there is one thing I read about being an issue, it seems to be problems with the DOD system. Is there any available cam with better low end responsiveness than stock?(seldom does this engine see higher rpm) Is doing away with the DOD really detrimental to the fuel consumption? how does VVT come into the conversation?

Heads have to come off with this design to change lifters. A tune will make your engine more responsive down low. If you were to delete AFM and desire the stock characteristics, the L9H camshaft would be my choice. It was a non-AFM 6.2 motor that your L94 replaced. VVT moves the power band based on throttle, more torque down low, more power up at speed. It is also good for better highway mileage.

Any problems with yours or are you just thinkin' about it?

Bucky1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heads have to come off with this design to change lifters. A tune will make your engine more responsive down low. If you were to delete AFM and desire the stock characteristics, the L9H camshaft would be my choice. It was a non-AFM 6.2 motor that your L94 replaced. VVT moves the power band based on throttle, more torque down low, more power up at speed. It is also good for better highway mileage.

Any problems with yours or are you just thinkin' about it?

Well, just thinking about what may be looming for me. Maybe it really isn't something we need to be proactive with. I don't want to be stuck with E85 or over 91 octane all the time. Sometimes I'm even stuck with 87 octane. So I don't know about getting a tune. It does sound like the most effective change short of forced induction though.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, just thinking about what may be looming for me. Maybe it really isn't something we need to be proactive with. I don't want to be stuck with E85 or over 91 octane all the time. Sometimes I'm even stuck with 87 octane. So I don't know about getting a tune. It does sound like the most effective change short of forced induction though.

Well you shouldn't be running low octane fuel through a 6.2, but you can if you keep your foot out of it. E85 if available might be cheaper to run than gasoline, it is for me right now. I save $12 every 300 miles. The tune also reprograms the transmission and makes the truck more driveable and just plain fun to drive. BlackBear offers lower octane tunes should you want to go full throttle on low octane gasolina.

Don't know when your 2011 was made or when in 2011 the updated parts came out, but in that year sometime, GM introduced an improved VLOM, driver's side valve cover and improved Delphi II De-Ac lifters. These are much more reliable than the previous years.

Last edited: