Mil-Spec Paint Job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
I've been all over with the paint ideas... I've been stuck on white/black fenders. But now I'm pretty sure I'm going to Mil-Spec paint it a single color with black accesories. What Mil-Spec color should I go with and should I paint the fenders to match or black? ALSO, I need advice I've never painted a truck/car. So give me a list of things I'll need (sandpaper, paint, anything else?). I did paint my grille and it wasn't bad at all. Thanks in advance!

(maybe something along these lines, I know this is a M1010 but it's a blazer and its close enough!)
DSC03319.gif

92__silverado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about flat black? kind of like an apache helicopter? I've always liked it.
As far as painting:
Various grit sand paper, tack cloth, paper funnels for pouring paint, paint measuring cup, primer, paint, plenty of painters tape, A MASK<<(DO NOT SKIMP ON THIS, PAINT CAN KILL YOU/**** YOU UP FOR LIFE) masking paper,stir sticks, paint thinner. Paint gun, air compressor.

I'm sure there is more but thats all i can think of.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
what about flat black? kind of like an apache helicopter? I've always liked it.
As far as painting:
Various grit sand paper, tack cloth, paper funnels for pouring paint, paint measuring cup, primer, paint, plenty of painters tape, A MASK<<(DO NOT SKIMP ON THIS, PAINT CAN KILL YOU/**** YOU UP FOR LIFE) masking paper,stir sticks, paint thinner. Paint gun, air compressor.

I'm sure there is more but thats all i can think of.

got most of it. sandpaper=anywhere from 600 to 80 grit, and any "mask" will kill you. The only mask not going to kill you is fresh air supplied respirator. Which i doubt you even have. A charcoal mask is better then nothing, but the VOCs will still get to you on that one. Do NOT use newspaper. Use masking paper etc etc.
Take stuff off the truck to paint it. The doors, the hood, Taillights, grille etc etc. idk, thats only some things i can think right now, i jsut got back from a party,im still a littlke buzzed

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
- 220 Grit Sandpaper $25.00
- Sanding Block $5.00
- Bondo Brand Body Filler $15.00-20.00
- METHYL ETHYL KETONE (MEK) $45.00

- DO NOT USE BODY FILLER THAT COMES IN A TUBE/PASTE !!!

I used to paint aircraft at a shop. We used MEK to chemically strip the body down to bear metal. (Way easier than sanding and fast. Maybe takes 45 minutes to strip an entire car) Just remember to mask off the truck with regular old masking tape and don't let the chemical get on any glass or rubber and use gloves cause if it gets on your skin it will burn like hell.

Once the chemical bubbles up, use a water hose to plow off the paint and it will take it down to bare metal without sanding. (It will begin immediately and begin stripping the truck almost as soon as you apply it)

We used fine grit sand paper, using a block sander or a D.A. and just scuffed up the body ever so slightly. Once it dries, just shoot with primer and paint.

The best advise I can give is: If masking off the vehicle took more than twice the time it took to paint. . . you did it right.

Last edited:

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
OSHA purple!!

I say you stick to white/black....or battleship grey/black

OP
OP
blackcoffee

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm gonna start buying parts to replace the worn out ones, remove emblems, remove grille, remove roof rack, remove Lightbar, remove lights. Cover it all up then throw a tarp over it. When I figure out what colors to go with I'll follow your steps. I'm gonna need some help on painting techniques though the most I've ever painted is my grille.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts