Michelin defender ltx vs ltx premier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
My experience with michelins in our shop here in New England, Michelin treads will last a long time, but they always start dry rotting and cracking on the side walls and between treads. I've seen both the ltx and premier do this. Ha I just googled Michelin LTX and this is what I got

IMG_8987.PNG

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i currently have 25k on the Premier LTXs(20") on our 15 XL. THey won't even come close to lasting the rated 60k, but otherwise have been great. Very smooth and quiet. However, if I were to buy it again, which I might when switching wheels, I'd probably go with the Defender as the Premiers look too soft and wimpy for a full size truck/suv, IMO. The Defenders tend to have a meatier appearance.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We put premier ltx on an acadia and the ride was buttery smooth. Handled awesone in the rain as well. The issue is the tread to start with...maybe half the depth of the ltx. Expected maybe 25k out of them max...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Those tires are oem equipped on many vechiles. Manufacturers put these tires on mainly for comfort and noise. Generally they are softer and supposedly get better mpg when new. They usualy dont last long tread wise

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think the defenders are a better tire. I'll be going with them soon. I've heard alot of people say the dry rot. I'm on my second set of michelins and the first set I had over 2 years and not a single stretch of cracks. So far I haven't had any issues with the LTX set I mounted on my 20s either. Both the all terrains I had before and the m/s LTX tires I've had ride incredibly well.

crabbman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, for I have Michelin now but will be soon going to Bridgestone Turanza soon,(80,000 mile) Guarantee.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think the defenders are a better tire. I'll be going with them soon. I've heard alot of people say the dry rot. I'm on my second set of michelins and the first set I had over 2 years and not a single stretch of cracks. So far I haven't had any issues with the LTX set I mounted on my 20s either. Both the all terrains I had before and the m/s LTX tires I've had ride incredibly well.

I've got about 5K miles on my Defenders and they still look brand new. I've had LTX's on several different vehicles and have always been happy with them. Always got more than the mileage rating and never any dry rot. I do drive a lot so I may not have had them long enough to rot.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience with michelins in our shop here in New England, Michelin treads will last a long time, but they always start dry rotting and cracking on the side walls and between treads. I've seen both the ltx and premier do this. Ha I just googled Michelin LTX and this is what I got

View attachment 80607

Reading the second review, that person only drives a little over 4K miles a year which means the vehicle may sit a lot. Add that to the harsh winters/salt up there may contribute to seeing cracking after 7 years. Not sure if it was garage kept which will make a difference. It's very possible that he could have gotten a bad set to begin with. The one issue I have with reviews is that a person is more likely to write a negative one over a positive one. :2cents:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA