Metal to metal sound when turning sharp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn’t sure where to place this question and I figure since at some point I will be lowering my 2018 Tahoe premier I would post here.

When back up slowly and turning the wheel slowly sometimes the front end makes this Clunk noise
I think it’s a normal GM thing cause my 2010 Yukon did the same thing. But I wanted to ask here because the vehicle only has 38k miles and it's done it since I bought it last year in December with 22k miles
.it's never been in a accident, I guess GM replaced a blown speaker in passenger door according to some vehicle history I found online when searching the vin

I have no curb rash or alignment issues truck drives straight it’s beautiful

Also was told the suspension is magnetic which means I can lower it by means of a switch or bolt under truck? Never heard of that before

Trides

Reaction score
Clunking could be tie rod or ball joint. There is no lowering by a bolt or switch with magnetic shock absorbers, time to find a new mechanic

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Does it make a difference which way you turn or the noise comes when turning either direction? Can you feel it in the steering or just a noise?

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it make a difference which way you turn or the noise comes when turning either direction? Can you feel it in the steering or just a noise?
I guess I wasn’t subscribed To my onwn thread,

so if I’m driving forward or backwards if I turn the wheel all the way to the left or all the way to the right if I go over say a rain gutter in the street as you know it’s kind of uneven that’s when I would hear the clunk sound from my understanding this is a Chevy thing and it’s completely normal it’s just a suspension I had a look underneath the truck when I had the exhaust modified and it looks immaculate underneath the truck all the parts look brand new same thing when I got new tires installed a few weeks ago I checked again it’s a suspension I asked them at the tire shop and they said it’s normal I’m probably not used to it because my GMC Yukon did not do that nor did my Chevy trailblazer SS The Yukon was a 2010 and the trailblazer SS was it 2005 I think

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are right - it is normal - GMs to tend to creak and crack and clunk, but the noise does still have a source, so it can be stopped. As was said I'd still check your sway bar bushings, sway bar link bushings, make sure the strut is seated properly and tight, and check all the other suspension bushings - those suspension clunks are so annoying, and often a pita to troubleshoot. Also, if you've had shocks replaced especially with anything other than OEM, be sure the spring doesn't touch the UCA at any stage or the strut touch the axle (some beefier ones come reeeaalllly close), make sure the calipers are tight. Sway bar ends too tight could cause a noise too. Anyway, that's a few off the top of my head - the list is pretty long - good fortune troubleshooting it. Post up when you figure it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts