McGaughy's Suspension Lowering Kit 30014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anybody here used this kit? I just want to get the rear leveled down some. Trying to keep it simple, cheap, and not sacrifice any ride quality. I know right now if I hit the gas hard at a light my rear bump stops hit. I do not want to aggravate that at all going lower. Need some direction. Thanks.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mmc-30014

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody here used this kit? I just want to get the rear leveled down some. Trying to keep it simple, cheap, and not sacrifice any ride quality. I know right now if I hit the gas hard at a light my rear bump stops hit. I do not want to aggravate that at all going lower. Need some direction. Thanks.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mmc-30014

Them coils are likely the same as what I ran on mine during all my lowering testing. IIRC, they dropped 2.5". They rode about the same as stock, maybe a little softer.

If you can hit your bump stops now, then lowering will just make it that much easier to hit 'em. You should do the free travel mod.

Your rear is 2" higher than the front?

OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Them coils are likely the same as what I ran on mine during all my lowering testing. IIRC, they dropped 2.5". They rode about the same as stock, maybe a little softer.

If you can hit your bump stops now, then lowering will just make it that much easier to hit 'em. You should do the free travel mod.

Yes It has a rear factory rake.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes It has a rear factory rake.

I asked cuz it doesn't look 2" higher in your sig pic, but it could be the angle.

I think mine was right at 1.5" higher, but my ALC was also not functioning and it's supposed to lift it about .5" after startup.

If your rear is compressing far enough to hit the bump stops from factory height just from hard throttle, then your springs are shot.

brandon bunn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I’m in the same spot as OP I have a 13 with wz7 suspension and it sits about 2” higher in the back. It’s 2wd and I want to level the rear and not lose my towing I was going to do the kit mentioned and keep my nivomats shocks what do you think?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my experience, I think the coils are close enough in load capacity to the factory ones. Having a functioning Auto-Leveling system will help keep you from bottoming out, but you will have to shorten the link rods on the sensor arms. If you don't, the system will think you're sagging 2" in the rear and will try to air it up to compensate, making it ride very stiff in the rear. I suggest removing the bumpstop and its bracket (the "free travel mod") for towing purposes. Usually, this is only necessary for a 3" or greater drop, but the rear will compress further when towing. Get your sensor links adjusted properly and you'll get your drop and likely not feel a difference or lose any load capacity or suspension travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094