Mass Air Flow sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DawgNutts

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm installing a K&N air intake on my 1997 Tahoe 5.7L and broke the air charge temp sensor so I have to order a new one. So I was thinking of also ordering a new MAF sensor because the one on my truck is god knows how old and looks beat to hell. Are any of the $300-400 performance MAFs worth it or should I just buy a stock replacement?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm installing a K&N air intake on my 1997 Tahoe 5.7L and broke the air charge temp sensor so I have to order a new one. So I was thinking of also ordering a new MAF sensor because the one on my truck is god knows how old and looks beat to hell. Are any of the $300-400 performance MAFs worth it or should I just buy a stock replacement?
Not sure how a high performance sensor is going to measure air flow any better than the OEM version so I’d go with OEM.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just got my new MAF yesterday and will be installing soon. I have no problems but just want to get it all to a base where I know how old things are. I am installing a new MAP and TPS and Cam and Crank sensors as well. I will be saving the old ones for spares if needed.

Like @wjburken said, I would just install a stock MAF replacement. Like this one: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1887184&cc=1061367&jsn=966

OP
OP
DawgNutts

DawgNutts

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure how a high performance sensor is going to measure air flow any better than the OEM version so I’d go with OEM.

yeah for 3 to 4x the cost of OEM, I was just wondering if it was worth it...didnt see how it would be enough of an improvement to justify the cost.

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
Can you have the original rebuilt? My original was metal, all the replacements (I've replaced it twice now in 15 years) are plastic. I tossed my original one and always wished I hadn't.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
performance maf's are real finicky, they will throw codes easily and have to be kept clean, you may notice a slight performance gain at first but I think the computer learns to compensate for it. just my opinion, for me in the long run it wasn't worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf

Latest posts