Market Value of 05-06 Yukon XLT/Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartyMcFLy

Reaction score
Let me just start off by saying I don't know much about GMC, Chevys, or SUVs.

A friend of mine is moving out of the country and is selling me his '06 Yukon XLT 5.3 w/ 4wd 106K miles. We sort of agreed on $5000 and we're going to close the deal later today. It is in good shape. No CELs, runs great! A few dings and scratches and a few surface rust spots on the chrome, nothing major that can't be touched up.

So, I went on Craigslist to compare and have seen other 06 Yukon XLTs around my area. So far, I've seen 2 that have 140,000 miles and change. They're asking 4-4.5k. They appear to be in similar shape, but haven't examined them in person.

I saw an '05 Yukon Denali for 4.5k as well...160k. My question is, are these considered good deals, or do you think something is wrong with them? KBB has them at $6000-$7500, so I'm wondering if my friend is selling to me at market value or these other ones have issue and are selling lower?

Would you consider going for a higher mileage 6.0L and passing up a lower mileage 5.3L?

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the KBB price based on,private party, wholesale,or dealer?

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, 5k might seem high to you but it isn't bad for just a tad over 100k for a 5.3, Those 500 dollars you are trying to save will come a long way before your truck hits 166k miles and needs more than that to maintain. I would pay 5k if that truck is in perfect running order. I paid 6.5k back in 2011 for mine with 160k miles just to have my tranny blow 20k miles later.

OP
OP
MartyMcFLy

MartyMcFLy

Reaction score
Honestly, 5k might seem high to you but it isn't bad for just a tad over 100k for a 5.3, Those 500 dollars you are trying to save will come a long way before your truck hits 166k miles and needs more than that to maintain. I would pay 5k if that truck is in perfect running order. I paid 6.5k back in 2011 for mine with 160k miles just to have my tranny blow 20k miles later.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. It seems like $1,000 over what I can get it, but it is low mileage and seems mechanically sound. Would you settle with the 5.3L @ $5k or shop around for a Denali at a similar price point?

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For daily reliability, I would probably do it, I would have tried to get it just a tad below but you already have a deal going for 5k so that is that. If you really want that 6.0 which I don't blame you I would want it too but sometimes we end up shooting our selves in the foot, for not taking the brightest decision. Ask me how I know :p

OP
OP
MartyMcFLy

MartyMcFLy

Reaction score
For daily reliability, I would probably do it, I would have tried to get it just a tad below but you already have a deal going for 5k so that is that. If you really want that 6.0 which I don't blame you I would want it too but sometimes we end up shooting our selves in the foot, for not taking the brightest decision. Ask me how I know :p

Yeah, I might've jumped the gun and offered without really knowing the market value. I wasn't robbed, but I always like to look out for a good deal. I like the power of a 6.0L, however practicality tells me a 5.3L will suffice, especially if I'm not towing. I guess it's in our nature to want the biggest and baddest haha.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I might've jumped the gun and offered without really knowing the market value. I wasn't robbed, but I always like to look out for a good deal. I like the power of a 6.0L, however practicality tells me a 5.3L will suffice, especially if I'm not towing. I guess it's in our nature to want the biggest and baddest haha.
When I was shopping around for a gm full size just about 4 years ago, I was staying away from the 6.0 with fuel economy in mind. With that being said, I drove a few 5.3s in a suburban and a Yukon xls. And it just seemed a little under powered in the long wheel base trucks. The 5.3 in the standard wheel has was perfectly acceptable. but then again I like going fast so having the 6.0 now is a better choice for me. Fuel economy is only marginally less than the 5.3 so it isn’t an issue.

OP
OP
MartyMcFLy

MartyMcFLy

Reaction score
That being said, what are your thoughts on a 5.3/6.0L vs a Chrysler Aspen 5.7 hemi? The reason I'm asking is because they're all in the same price range. Do any of you have any experience with pre-bailout Chryslers?

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Differences for the Denali would be a 6.0 vs the 5.3, Full time AWD (which will lose about 1-2mpg), but its AWD, and without knowing where you live, just that your vehicles have rust on em not sure how important that is to you… The Denali is leather, with an exterior body kit and upgraded trim. The Denali should have a better stereo than the other ones (if you're an aftermarket stereo kind of person, that probably won't matter). I would ask yourself if that is all worth it to you. Were you in the market for one, or is this doing your friend a favor? Is your friend moving out of the country unexpectedly, or is this something they knew was eventually coming, (as in, did they plan on keeping this thing for a while, and forced to sell it maybe moving because of a family emergency, or did they know they would only have this for several years or so such as with a military move)? Do you know the maintenance history of it? Does it need anything?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout