Manuals; Haynes, Chilton, GM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for something basic, but accurate. I won't be doing teardowns or other major work, but Id' like some idea of how things are supposed to work and where they are. Haynes and Chilton are generally $25 or so, the GM ones are a couple of hundred at least.

I've had retail books on other vehicles, and they left a lot to be desired as far as accuracy. Like pictures and diagrams that didn't even come close to what I had.

Thoughts?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try Here-

cuznguido

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since you asked, let me first qualify myself. Retired heavy equipment mech, so not a rookie. That said, IMO the Chilton manual is worse than worthless.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I’ve found most useful is alldatadiy.com which is a subscription by VIN. It’s, essentially, a digital version of the GM factory manual…right down to the same diagrams.

They used to be around $20/year (which was a bargain) but then jumped to $70 or so.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Things have probably changed since I actually bought a non OEM service manual but the model specific Chiltons seemed to be pretty decent while the Haynes was, like you say, not real helpful for my actual machine. But these days you can find about anything on-line seems like. Youtube is pretty helpful although I do get aggravated with the 10 minute videos when I'm looking for one specific tip.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used to buy a Haynes manual for regular cars and factory service manuals for my muscle cars and trucks. Still do, have shop manual in PDF form and maintain subscription to AllDataDIY. There is a discount right now for 1 year and 3 year subscriptions. The price went up significantly but so did what you get for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh