Magnetic ride worth it? 3.42 vs 3.08?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soon to burb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi folks. I just test drove a 17 Suburban LT that was pretty well optioned out and included the max trailering package.

my question is should I hold out for the premier trim? I’m interested in the Magnetic ride to help control body roll and wallowing on the highway. I really liked the 3.42 gearing the max trailering gives you, but am curious if others find it hurts mpg vs the 3.08.

any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do any trailering I found replacing my sway bars made the biggest difference, my towing was in the winter upstate NY and Canada where wind was always an issue, of course 3.42 gears and mag ride all help, still the biggest difference that made me feel the safest was sway bars, that why I did it on my 6 Suburban's, 12 Escalade's and on my callaway Tahoe

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is the right truck, I would pull the trigger and immediately replace the shocks with Bilstein 5100.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

As you can see, folks are responding, and additional folks will chime in.

OP
OP
S

Soon to burb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seems like a great forum! I may tow a small boat short distances on occasion, but my primary use will be family vacation road trips. Wondering if the magnetic ride suspension makes a big difference on the highway.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like the mag ride has had lots of issues for people. I haven't seen a lot of folks say there is a big enough difference in mpg with the max trailering pkg. But most like the gearing a little better with the 3.42. I like having 4 low with mine (max trailering pkg.). Good luck.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mag ride is fine until the shocks lock up ;)

depending on how you drive.... 3.08 will get you at least 2-3mpg better than 3.42...typically

3.42 is better for ease of towing.

Jerry Rabenaldt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Like others have said, Magnaride is very nice until it's not. You'll appreciate the 3.42's over the 3.08's if you're hauling anything. And it's easier to change the shocks than the gearing if you find something you really like.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
I have always bought the optional trailering gear ratio on my vehicles including my 96 Tahoe, 01 Yukon, 15 Tahoe, and several pickups. I have always experienced equal or BETTER fuel economy on road trips when driving at sustained speeds of 70 mph or more. I have friends, neighbors, and family member that have followed me to our cottage (180 miles) and second home (825 miles) with same or nearly identical year vehicles. In most cases my fuel economy is actually better at those higher speeds.

Another advantage seems to be longer transmission life. I had 260k miles on my 01 Yukon and no transmission failure compared to my neighbors 01 Tahoe that was on it's 3rd transmission by that number of miles. I never replaced the transmission on any of my trailer axeled Tahoes or pickups either. It makes sense since less torque is transmitted though the transmission because of the higher toque multiplication of the trailer ratio. Of course the extra fluid cooler in the towing option has to help also.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depending on how you drive.... 3.08 will get you at least 2-3mpg better than 3.42...typically

I have to disagree with that based on personal experience. Maybe it's the way I drive.

If you plan on doing ANY towing, and even for folks that don't - I can't recommend the 3.42 gears enough (and it's really a bit sad that 3.42's are considered the "towing gear" on these trucks but I digress).

The 3.42 is key, but the towing package also gets you a better T-case and other nice additions. As far as gas mileage, it's going to be not great anyway - regardless of the rear gear. In fact, the 3.42 might even do better for you overall.

Concerning the magnetic ride I can only say that my truck DOES NOT have it and it rides quite nicely whether loaded or unloaded. I am very happy with it, and there's something to be said for having less stuff to break in the long run!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu