Low idle when put into park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 Tahoe Z71, idles perfect, drives great, until stopped and put into park. The Tahoe's RPM's drop down to around 350, but slowly raises back to normal. No issues on starting the Tahoe, Throttle body was recently cleaned and new battery was also installed. Also, no engine lights or any codes to read. Trying to figure this out before we are stranded, currently the only vehicle we have as we have evacuated due to hurricane, so tools are limited. Thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
might try putting in some bottles of injector cleaner or consider a injector cleaning service some places have a tool that connects right to the fuel rail and runs the cleaner thru the injectors. if you just do the bottles it might take a couple 2-3 tanks of gas ran thru before you notice any difference. could still be the TB even if it was cleaned, you might also want to check the fuel pressure the little tool kit should either be cheap or available as a rental from autozone oreilly's etc.

OP
OP
Bigbertha78

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Copy that, it's worth a try, thanks! Would it be an injector/fuel issue going from drive to park? Could it be a transmission part?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigbertha78

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried the fuel additive with a few tanks of fuel and no fix! We have driven over 1500 miles, Tahoe does great until we have to stop or slow down, RPM's drop almost to 200 and truck almost stalls. Not fun driving through Denver at rush hour. Hit the gas and it's good to go. Stopped by Autozone to check the alternator just in case, battery and alternator are good, no codes, and no sounds of a vacuum leak or misfire. We still have about 800 miles to go, any ideas on what this issue could be?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
It's possible it could be a sticky/non-functioning IAC. It's a cylindrical bit that attaches to the top of the throttle body. How thorough was the cleaning?

Pop it out, give everything a thorough cleaning.

If you could find a pinout, you could check:

1. Power supplied from the PCM
2. Resistance of the controller itself - shorted or open circuit
3. I *think* mechanical actuation

OP
OP
Bigbertha78

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
88076F03-DB59-4C38-A482-32F3A164558E.jpeg 584C945D-AFF8-433E-97D1-0564AD1AED8B.jpegRemoved the throttle body and gave it a good cleaning, have to see how it does afterwards, here are a few pictures of after it was removed!

OP
OP
Bigbertha78

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even after the intense cleaning on the throttle body I drive home and as I’m slowing down the RPM’s drop and almost stall! They go back up and as I put Tahoe in Park, the RPM’s drop again! Any thoughts?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unless you want to drop $85 on a diagnostic I would maybe just slap another throttle body on and see, even a used one from the junk yard, there not terribly expensive. on the older throttle bodys you could just change the IAC but I don't think you can on these drive by wire.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Connect a scan tool. Engine load should drop when going into park, raise with a/c on, raise with electrical load on alternator. TPS could be reading wrong, so look at it also. Usually the RPM will raise when engaged in park... IAC may not be working correctly. Also check for vacuum leaks as that is the no1 cause for idle issues.

OP
OP
Bigbertha78

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Already checked for vacuum leaks and the truck is good. When I removed the throttle body for cleaning, I noticed when you move it there was a noise inside the black cover which I'm guessing is normal but maybe the next thing to look into. Is there a way to swap out just that or will I have to replace the whole throttle body?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518