Loose Steering Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lspann3525

Reaction score
Lately the steering on the 2008 tahoe 245k feels loose and feels strange to drive at speeds over 60. The Ball Joints and Wheel bearings have been replaced. The only other components that have not been touched are the tie rods. Before diving into the tie rods I noticed that my rack and pinion slides left to right inside of that bushing..Does the rack and pinion suppose to be securely mounted so it doesn't move..heres a video to explain whats going on

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lately the steering on the 2008 tahoe 245k feels loose and feels strange to drive at speeds over 60. The Ball Joints and Wheel bearings have been replaced. The only other components that have not been touched are the tie rods. Before diving into the tie rods I noticed that my rack and pinion slides left to right inside of that bushing..Does the rack and pinion suppose to be securely mounted so it doesn't move..heres a video to explain whats going on

Thanks for posting that. I think I may have the same thing going on with my oil vomiting motor fkn up those bushings. I'll have to take a closer look.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No, not supposed to move like that. Flex in the bushings, yes, but that slop is something that has to be used up before the steering moves the wheels. It will contribute to a "wander" feeling and at times, steering correction while trying to stay in your lanes. It will get worse.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Reaction score
anyone know the torque specs for the 2 large bolts on the rack and pinion driver side???

rack to frame bolts

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone know the torque specs for the 2 large bolts on the rack and pinion driver side???

rack to frame bolts
Torquing the bolts won't help. The rubber mount bushings need replacing. You can also replace the steering rack which you may need anyway because with that mileage your inner tie rods are likely worn as well. I bought my reman steering rack from Rock Auto for my '07 and it tightened my steering back up. Rockauto sells just the bushings if you're focused on just replacing them.

Finally, some folks have been able to eliminate the slippage in that bushing by loosening the bolts, wedging something behind it like a rubber coil spring mount, and torquing it back down. YMMV.

But to answer your question as asked, the left (driver) side steering gear bolts are 148 ft. lbs. and the right (pax) side steering gear bolts are 74 ft. lbs.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Reaction score
Problem solved. The rack and pinion bolts were not torqued. After doing my rear seal some months ago I used my impact wrench to reinstall the rack to speed things up and I didnt check the torque.

After torquing them with my torque wrench the trucks feels a hell of alot better and stable when driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts