Looking To Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

REMIXER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I been here so hope you all been good
Its time for me to upgrade and Im looking for 2015 to 2017

Dont know what to get so I got it down to Tahoe , Suburban , or Yukon xl
not to sue about the escalade as I need more convincing on it , I know the mirrors are larger and it got the longer rear lights and all but most of these cars have many things alike which makes it harder

Crazy enough I recently rented a Kia sorento and I actually gave it some thought but not enough
room and not man enough for me if it makes sense , it handled like a car had power ,smooth and all,,,but not for me, I went so see the Tellurude and it just seemed a bit off to me,, nice car but no go

Im looking for space comfort and power but most of all RELIABILITY
some suffer more on certain things than others which is why Im here asking for some input

I got a daughter up in Oneonta NY so ill be doing some traveling from NYC
I been hearing transmission issues on the Tahoe is still an issue and some are better than others

so knowing what you know now having your ride
what would you go with?

thanks in advance

Jr

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I guess you're asking us the "your car just got stolen and totaled, you have to get another one - what do you do" question. Fair enough.

Mine is a 2016 Tahoe LT. Frankly it's been fine. Not much drama to report. Here's what I would shop:

• A Yukon Denali, essentially choosing another of the same but going GMC for a change of scenery and upgrading the engine to make it fun.
  • Might see if I could stretch to a Range Rover.
  • The Toyota Land Cruiser is always in the discussion. Stupid $$$ but could be the last SUV you ever buy.

Honorable mentions:

• The renderings of the next generation Toyota 4Runner look very nice. Similar to what they did with the RAV4, but larger. Good lines, but probably closer in size to a JGC than a Tahoe. Also could be a couple more years before it's out.
  • New Explorer ST looks nice too. I think it will be a big improvement over the current truck (ahem, minivan). But surely it will be a short time before there are ten zillion of them around.

Notice no Expedition. I just think they are ugly and don't want one.

I think 75% chance I'd end up in the Yukon, or maybe a Tahoe RST.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its time for me to upgrade and Im looking for 2015 to 2017

Dont know what to get so I got it down to Tahoe , Suburban , or Yukon xl

so knowing what you know now having your ride
what would you go with?

I went with a Yukon XL, the extra length is great, for space behind the 3rd row and there is more room for the 2nd and 3rd row passengers compared with the shorter wheelbase.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I went with a Yukon XL, the extra length is great, for space behind the 3rd row and there is more room for the 2nd and 3rd row passengers compared with the shorter wheelbase.

I'd have looked at XLs but one wouldn't fit in my garage. I just leave the 3rd row out and have the whole back end for "stuff".

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also depends on the gadgets you’d like though most are comparable. For me it’s a Denali if you can find one.

calif phil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy the best that you can afford and add in an extended warranty. You will love the truck. My '15 Yukon is amazing.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Yukon for a number of years, which I was happy with, and then I upgraded to the Yukon XL Denali. The additional cargo space is very significant, such as being able to carry a full sheet of plywood. The additional features associated with the Denali trim are also quite nice.

I agree with Fless, in that I also removed the 3rd row seats, as I do not need the additional seating capacity. I store the seats on the ceiling of my garage, in the event that I do need them for some additional passenger needs in the future.

3rd Row Seats Hanging.jpg

funtogo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd have looked at XLs but one wouldn't fit in my garage. I just leave the 3rd row out and have the whole back end for "stuff".
The yukon xl is very nice.I do like the way the shorter one handles better turning though.xl has a better ride.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any real issues with my 2015 LT but if I had to do it again I wouldn't get the 2015 (the first year of the body change). There are a few bugs that may have gotten worked out in later models. Popping steering wheel and shifting front seats come to mind. The other issues I have had seem to be common across the other years.

I'd also get the 2 speed transfer case, which I have, I don't use low range much but I like the gearing better. I'm not sure if you're asking about that type of stuff but there are lots of threads about it.

Minor things, but overall it's been really good so far....*knock on wood*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe