Looking to squeeze more Mpg?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redaddiction

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When is the last time you did a tuneup? One of the Tahoes I had saw a significant mpg from 11 up to 18 mpg highway with a fuel filter change, seafoam in the gas tank and some down the intake.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive been here a while and Ive seen a couple hundred of these fuel mileage threads . I have to know where are you guys coming up with 18,19-20 MPGs ANYWHERE?! that makes no sense to me . I calculated a 1.3 MPG improvement over stock with my blackbear tune , this was done by Driving the SAME exact destinations with the least amount of variables I.E stoplights ,stop signs ect…

the best Ive ever had my truck do was right after a tune up bone stock and I clocked a full tank of gas with all highway mileage from NC to NJ and I got 16.1 mpgs

so even with a blackbear tune at the time of this I still wouldn't touch the 18 mpg mark?
Im no lead foot and know what it takes to make good MPGs . Heck I can make 37 mpgs in my Chevy Cruz

Check out this link guys this will show you the averages

http://www.fuelly.com/car/gmc/yukon

La rabona

Reaction score
Just buy a cash car, I bought me a vw cabrio 30mpg average i cant go wrong ...big difference 30 dlls tank vs 90 dlls I only drive my tahoe like once a month .......

Stang&Hoe

Reaction score
these other guys are dead on. best ive seen in mine (z71 with 285s.) was 13mpg. average is about 9 to 11. you would be shocked at how much those 285s are killing you since im willing to bet you didnt regear for them...like i didnt. step back down to factory tires, shed some weight in the truck and keep the RPM under 2000. MAYBE 15-16 if youre lucky.

now another option would be instead of getting a honda or something like that, an old surplus crown vic. i know Georgia State Patrol is selling off their old ones CHEAP!! they just sold an 07 will 103k miles for 1300 bucks. i got 24-26 out of mine before the heavy mods. it still gets 18-22. big comfy and safe car too...
then like another said park the yuk and take the insurance off of it.

i know if money was an issue for me, the copenhagen would have to go. really got to weigh your vices and pleasures against your education. there will be plenty of time for fun and toys later, but this is your one chance at education brother, dont waste it!! worst comes to worst, sell the yuk, buy a nice fuel saver then when youre back on your feet good, shop around and get you a nice hoe already cummins swapped!

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I was the only one who thought about doing a cunnins swap. I would take 04.5-06 Common Rail 5.9 and there new 6 spd auto. it will fit fine and even the ac compressor is in the right place. Run a Smarty tuner and get 22+ all day long for hwy miles. plus as a added bonus you will end up with 700-800 ft lbs of torque. The new 6.7 cummins is 350 hp and 850 ft lbs of tq. you would have one towing beast.

=

b4z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is really something my wife and I are struggling with. The tahoe and my GTO have been paid off for 16 months and it is the first time I haven't had a car payment n 14 years. It is amazing. But 13 mpg city and 16 ish hwy is driving me nuts.
If I am pulling down from 80mph I can get it into the 18-19 mpg but70 mph adds 30 minutes to the trip to our mountain house. A trip that costs us $100 in gas.
I am currently searching for 18" hybrid wheels. I know we will pick up 1 mpg in the city just from those.
An '07 and up is much more aerodynamic but weighs 4-500 lbs more. So we are not sure which way to go. But we have to have an SUV along with our other cars.

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

I can also pick up 1 mpg from using ethanol free gas, but that is $4 plus per gallon.

Last edited:

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Yeahhh, i only get 16-17mpg at best conditions and thats right after a tune up, oil change, clean filter, and clean spark plugs. I have a cai, a borla exhaust and a bbtune. The bbtune helped the most honestly. I went from 12-13 hwy to 15-16 hwy after the tune. But i have 24's and a lead foot sooo i f'd.

B4z has it. You really cant do much more....

#attentionwhore

Dowsewashere

Reaction score
I get 13 and change. Sometimes 10 when i wheel or when i want to hear my glasspacks scream. I cannot see anyway of getting better gas mileage. Plus dont people understand these are 5000+ lb suvs with v8s.