Looking to Buy, Need Your Help: 2004 Z71 vs 2006 Z71 vs 2006 SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MKRAMER309

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Members,

With a third child on the way I am looking to make a purchase of an SUV with a 3rd row. I'm trying to keep it under $10k. I have narrowed things down to two Tahoes and one Yukon. It would be much appreciated if you fine folks on here could poke holes in any of these vehicles, things to look out for, price too high, etc. I'll do my best to provide as much info about them as I can.

Option #1: 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71, 128k miles, $7995
https://candlerusedcars.com/inventory/2004-chevrolet-tahoe-k1500-z71-4x4/

The transmission was overhauled in 2014 at 104k miles by AAMCO. Carfax will be uploaded.

Option #2: 2006 Tahoe Z71, 126k miles, $6968
https://www.haleytoyota.com/inventory/used-2006-chevrolet-tahoe-4wd-suv-1gnek13tx6r112649
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VtjLiXSVpvmemrSd7

Option #3: 2006 GMC Yukon SLT, 112k miles, $10950
http://www.665cars.com/68_V201806011300230015/Asheville/2006-GMC-Yukon-SLT-for-sale

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2004 CHEVROLET TAHOE K1500_ 1GNEK13Z34R165338.pdf
    369 KB · Views: 2

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are almost the same vehicles and all 4x4. The only differences then would be where they have been and how they were serviced. Only the link for the Yukon has pics- it looks good, but came from an auction. Considering your location probably from points north, the 06 z71 spent a lot of time in delaware and virginia.
I'd be looking for rust. They want a premium for the 04 with the rebuilt trans? IMO that is not a selling point. there is a reason it went out.
Frankly We don't have enough info. Maybe hire an independent consultant to inspect and research the vehicles.
If the trans and transfer cases have not verifyably been serviced, I'd be deducting those costs off the purchase price for sure. As to the price- blue book minus repairs.

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of the three vehicles, the Yukon is the Outlier with the price, it does not exceed the other two Z71s in options as the Z71s were equal to the LT trim level. I would also be concerned with Rust, Brake lines etc, Only the 04 has had its tranny done so the other two, the clock is ticking on them. You should take them for a good test drive and really look at them, test all electrical functions, the seat heaters etc. In 04 the LT was the top trim level, as the LTZ was not available yet, it did start in 06 as a few had it. I would try for the 06 Tahoe if all things check out.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of the three vehicles, the Yukon is the Outlier with the price, it does not exceed the other two Z71s in options as the Z71s were equal to the LT trim level. I would also be concerned with Rust, Brake lines etc, Only the 04 has had its tranny done so the other two, the clock is ticking on them. You should take them for a good test drive and really look at them, test all electrical functions, the seat heaters etc. In 04 the LT was the top trim level, as the LTZ was not available yet, it did start in 06 as a few had it. I would try for the 06 Tahoe if all things check out.
Yes the Z71 is like an LT, but it’s also got a totally different suspension package than the LT Tahoe’s and the SLT Yukon’s. It might have different gearing and such. Things to think about .

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OPTION #1 looks like its already sold. Its not on the dealers website..

OPTION #2 How I read that Carfax: Looks like the first owner took care of it. They got all the work done at the dealer and on time, and then sold it after six years which is not only a year after the new Tahoe model was out but is about average when people who buy new upgrade to a newer model. This was when everyone wanted this vehicle...……. Then the SECOND OWNER got this thing. They put a good amount of miles on it, and going off the trans rebuild beat the hell out of it. They may have done maintenance on time, but the truck sold at auction when it had a loan on it (it was repossessed). This tells me the person couldn't afford to make payments, so they probably couldn't afford or didn't care about keeping up with proper maintenance. Even though the third owner got work done at the dealer, and looks like they tried to make it right, you still don't know how tight the suspension is, or even more the engine. The third owner didn't drive it that much, that could be it was a second vehicle, or maybe they got rid of it because they were starting to spend money on maintenance, (and didn't want to put more into it that they know it needs?) This one just has those red flags which tell me it may need a lot of money into it in the near future.

OPTION #3 Unless you're set on an NBS, for that price you can get an NNBS with that mileage. I don't like that websites video that talks about a warranty for 100k miles and 5 years, (uhhh that's expired), just seems sketchy to me. Those floor mats are trashed, gives me an idea of where the vehicle has been, (but i'm in the desert). Unless they are going to come down $2K+ just seems high to me.

I would avoid all three, there are plenty of vehicles out there. Why these three? The only two I can see are different colors. They both have around 100k miles, but one is a three owner. So if you want three rows, are you considering suburbans and XLs, or do you want the short wheel base? Any interest in Denalis and escalades with AWD and 6.0? What is your perfect vehicle (color, cloth/leather interior, 4wd/awd, short/long wheel base models, options, do you plan to mod, do you want a stock vehicle or would mods interest you, are you specific on having a NBS (99-06)? If I may ask, you listed three dealer vehicles (which are overpriced, and you don't know who the owner is), is it a cash buy or were you picking those because you could get financed on them (IMO I ALWAYS prefer a private seller as long as you can find one who knows and cares about the vehicle)?

Just to throw something out at you. Its only about $700 to ship a vehicle across the country. Its about $100 to get an independent inspection done. The two best cities to look for vehicles (IMO) are Phoenix, AZ, and Las Vegas. Both are dry desert climates where vehicles don't rust, we just wear out rubber. Phoenix is a hub, and Vegas is Vegas, there are always lots of flights from everywhere to fly in and drive home, (even throw in a couple days vacation if you have time). At least that's how I do it.

OP
OP
M

MKRAMER309

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah I've cooled off on all three. I've been thinking of going suburban/xl route in the third generation. If anyone has suggestions/opinions, Im all ears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne