Looking for a smoother ride....shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gossamer

Reaction score
I have Gabriel MaxControl shocks on the front and rear of my 2002 Tahoe 2wd. The ride is pretty rough even over smaller bumps. It has been described by passengers as like riding in a covered wagon...lol.
The tires are on 17" factory steel wheels and they are C load rated.
What is a good shock to get a smoother ride with or is there another suggestion for a smoother ride?

Thanks

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstein 4600 Are Fantastically smooth! The 5100's are offroad and ride like a 1+ Ton truck

mooman

Reaction score
Depending on age of vehicle, you would be surprised changing out bushings that connect suspension parts to frame. I have the 4600 HD and at first I thought they were too stiff, seeing that the smallest bumps were felt and it was interior rattling. When I dealt with it for years until I decided to to my upper and lower control arms from the front. MY GOD, IT RODE LIKE, BRAND NEW,.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
How about mid grade shocks like Monroe/kyb , or if a.c. Delco makes some?

xjsc16x

Reaction score
Depending on age of vehicle, you would be surprised changing out bushings that connect suspension parts to frame. I have the 4600 HD and at first I thought they were too stiff, seeing that the smallest bumps were felt and it was interior rattling. When I dealt with it for years until I decided to to my upper and lower control arms from the front. MY GOD, IT RODE LIKE, BRAND NEW,.

Our trucks don't have them, but it's worth noting that most old ass trucks ride like shit because their cheap rubber leaf springs bushings are long gone. On an old worn out Tahoe, I'd replace your control arm bushings and ball joints that should help you out a good amount if they're old.

That and Bilstein 4600s should give you a nice ride. I'm assuming your truck is stock height.

-Justin

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
My plan is amassing the parts I want ( moog, delco, energy suspension, Bilstein, Hellwig or eibach) over time as affordable and making a big job of it all. No substitute for good parts, imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan