Long cranking after sitting for a bit 04 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a little research and searching but still have a question. I think the fuel pressure is bleeding off causing the long start after sitting sometimes. Is the device that prevents this in the fuel pump module for my 04 Tahoe? I assume if it is I need a new fuel pump module.

If so, thinking I should stick with Ac Delco fuel pump module. Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Screenshot_20201001-210306_Firefox.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Does sound like that but could also be bleeding off at an injector as well. You can depressurize the rail and pull the rail with injectors and then turn key to KOEO position and can check to see if the rail pressurizes again and watch the injector tips for any fuel leakage. Should have no leaks. If the injector o-rings at the rail also do not leak then it is like the pump or the fuel pressure regulator leaking off. For flex fuel rig: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=438163&cc=1424247&jsn=924

Did you already do a fuel pressure test and then shut off key and watch to see if the pressure holds for at least a few minutes and does not bled off quickly?

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

OP
OP
Stonefort

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@PNW VietVet

looking at the vin it looks like it's a flex fuel. Thanks for the info on that.. did not realize it was. I looked at the vin, there is a Z in the 8th position. Working on getting my signature fixed up..

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Flex Fuel pumps are different from the non-Flex pumps. It sounds like you've figured out that yours is a FF, and you should have a sticker inside the fuel door that shows it's FF.

The original fuel cap was yellow for FF trucks, but may have been changed sometime over the years.

EDIT: look at your RPO sticker in the glovebox. L59 is the FF engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stonefort

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fless - Thank you for the RPO code. I confirmed it is a FF engine with your code. I didn't think it was because of no yellow cap or sticker on the fuel door.

@PNW VietVet - Thank you for that great video! Actually happy I found out it was FF engine because this is easier than the fuel pump module.....so long as it's not the injectors leaking down. Thanks again for the help.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@Stonefort, you need to change the L69 to L59 in your signature. I have a 2005 Z71 that is not flex fuel and the 2002 LT I am selling is flex fuel and the RPO code in the 2002 is L59, like @Fless said.

My 2002 did not have a yellow cap on it when I bought it and I did replace with a new black cap over the time I have owned it but I know for sure that it is flex fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn