Little noob wants to change spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh hey it’s me again. The guy who burns his hands trying to change light bulbs.

I am not a handy person but I want to become more handy and I am looking for an easy win.

To get right too it I have 2004 Tahoe 5.3 flex fuel with 122k in the clock. I bought it at 92k in October 2018. I got no maintenance records with it so it’s safe to assume the plugs have probably never been changed. The engine runs beautifully but as above I’m looking to bolster my crappy mechanical skills. Is this something that you would consider doing to “future proof” your engine even if to you they don’t seem to “need” changed?

What if any benefit would I reap from changing the plugs and wires? Any benefit in putting higher quality parts back in? What plugs and wires would you use?

Any words of wisdom? I’ve watched a few videos and one particularly on that last plug on the passenger side being a *****.

thanks!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy who burns his hands trying to change light bulbs.

I would recommend that you wait for the motor to cool down so you don't need any more skin grafts.:rolleyes:

As George already stated, do the plugs and wires.

Pick up some high temp anti-seize and some dielectric grease as well. You put a small coating of the anti-seize on the threads of the new plugs before you put them back in. You then put the dielectric grease on the two ends of the plug wires to help keep the connections clean over time.

For the #8 plug, which is the plug on the rear passenger side back by the air conditioning stuff, it will be a tight fit but if you use a good spark plug socket that has an external hex on it (typically 3/4" I think) you can put the plug socket on the plug and then put a socket on the external hex of the plug socket and that should get you put past the exhaust manifold and heat shield and not all the way into the A/C stuff.

Just for general knowledge, the driver's side is referred to as the left side of the vehicle and the passenger side is the right side. The cylinder numbering on your 5.3 is as follows: 1-3-5-7 on the driver's side starting at the front and going back to the firewall. 2-4-6-8 is on the passenger side going front to back.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you don't know the mileage on these, also do the air filter and fuel filter and get some MAF/MAP sensor cleaner at the parts store and clean them and also look at you tube and follow the directions, 2-3 videos, to clean the throttle bore. The #8 cylinder plug can be gotten out pretty easy if you do as @wjburken said and may be abl to reach in with an open end wrench and fit over end on spark plug socket and break loose. Can likely then just spin by hand, socket still on, and get out of there. I bought a couple straight spark plug wire ends, plug wire gone, and use that to put the new plug in the plug end of it and reach in there to either spin out or start the new plug in there before final tensioning. You can use straight hose as well that you cut down to about 3"-4" as the plug starter. Just need to make sure the inner diameter is tight enough on the plug to hold it.

To answer another question about the value of doing this work now: Like my dad taught me, "Maintenance pays and breakdowns cost".

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#8 is easy "IF" you just use the right combination of adapters
and changing the plugs & wires is just good maintenance, the benefit will be it will continue to run well. you wont see any other benefit even using the best of the best unless you have some kind of built motor and boost then you might see some difference between plug types.
the trick to doing plugs is to tighten them correctly and use oem plugs and wires, ya you can get 15mm wires with titanium cores and yada yada, it wont make any seat of the pants difference, it might look prettier :cocktail:.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you have a actual plug socket, 5/8 ths, they come in most socket sets.

i need nothign more then a 3/8 th ratchet, a 3 inch extension and the 5/8 th plug socket.

plug wires might give ya a fight, wear some leather gloves grip the wire at the plug twist it both ways and then pull hard. if it wont twist, this does happen. you can take a razor knife and cut the boot up the spark plug, then use a screw driver or pick to break it free, then pull it off. if you still have them metal covers rip them off and toss em in the trash lol ive never reused them things.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember right I got a moving blanket and laid on top of the engine to reach that plug easier. Getting it out is not the problem getting it started by hand is tough, your fingers tips barely reach.

Also I would change the water pump around now and both belts, it's pretty easy with these engines. Flush the transmission and change oil in differentials and transfer case if you have 'em. Also if I had to do over I would change both heater hoses when you do the water pump. Both my vehicles heater hoses (both) started leaking around 100k-140k timeframe.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Starting the plug is easy with a straight spark plug boot pushed on and it gives a little flex and extension to the procedure and easy to pull off once you get it started. I always spin them in as far as it will thread and then pull off boot and finish with the socket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons