Lifting VS. Lowering - Ride quality questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the two kits in question here are the 2/3-4 Belltech Lowering kit, or the Rough Country 2" leveling kit.

So, i recently bought a 2010 LT 2WD as a daily driver that will have to get me from Florida to Michigan at least a couple times a year, and around town the rest of the time.
I have always loved the way the NNBS tahoes look, clean lines, tough front and back. And they look great either lifted or dropped subtly.

So here's where my problem lies; I really want to do one or the other to the truck, and both have their merits. Lifting would be nice for when I'm up north in the winter and need to clear my way out of snowy situations BUT it would suck to park in my condo's parking garage in Florida the rest of the year
Lowering would make it less of an imposing vehicle on the road, and lets be honest the tahoe looks tough when it looses a little ground clearance. BUT in the snow I might get in trouble.

That said, it really comes down to which one of the two offers the closest to stock ride quality, or even an improvement.
I have had lifted (body lifted) trucks in the past and definitely could tell a noticeable loss of ride quality
I have lowered almost every sports car I have ever owned, and that always inherently comes with a loss of ride quality.

So i'll leave it to you to tell me what you think. If i want to go one direction or another, and everything else in the world is equal, when its your butt on the line (literally), which one is the more comfortable ride?

:)

I went with lowering my Suburban over lifting it. I knew lifting it would kill any decent fuel economy I was achieving at the time because I would've had to step up to much bigger tires. Also, my truck is 4WD and ever since I lowered it I've ran snow tires in the winter and I've had absolutely no trouble in 10+ inches of snow. Unless you're dropping your truck down to where the frame is sitting on the ground, I don't think you'll have any problems getting through high snow.

Also, I'm surprised you said you've experienced a change in ride quality after adding a body lift? I wouldn't have guessed a body lift would have ANY affect on ride quality since nothing about the suspension was changed.

But my vote goes to dropping your truck!

Last edited:

Bruizza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote drop it especially since it is 2wd. I have a 2/3 drop on my avalanche with 26s in the summer. My wife gets car sick sometimes but has never complained about my avalanche. I also tow a boat all summer and still no complaints. In the winter I put my stock 20s back on with snow tires and haven't had any issues yet. I live in the Denver area and drive up to the mountains to snowboard in the winter. No adverse affects from it being lowered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv