Liftgate issues, replaced actuator still nothing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tngal18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Yukon Denail XL...My situation seems different. Liftgate completely stopped working after intermittently operating fine. I replaced the actuator and pass side shock. Still nothing. Every once in a while it will open, but never closes on its own. Yes, dial is set correctly and button is on. Here's my key clue. When you shut it manually, it does pull it shut. So I know the automatic latch is working. However, the interior lights will not go off. Which tells me the vehicle isn't being told the door is closed. So, what switch am i missing? What else can cause the liftgate to not work? The glass will not pop open either and when you push the buttons on fob , tail lights just flash. Not even a click in the liftgate.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

When you say 'actuator', can you be more specific on what this is?

OP
OP
T

Tngal18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 yukon Denali XL....My situation seems different. Liftgate completely stopped working after intermittently operating fine. I replaced the actuator and pass side shock. Still nothing. Every once in a while it will open, but never closes on its own. Yes, dial is set correctly and button is on. Here's my key clue. When you shut it manually, it does pull it shut. So I know the automatic latch is working. However, the interior lights will not go off. Which tells me the vehicle isn't being told the door is closed. So, what switch am i missing? What else can cause the liftgate to not work? The glass will not pop open either and when you push the buttons on fob , tail lights just flash. Not even a click in

Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

When you say 'actuator', can you be more specific on what this is?
Liftgate actuator which consists of both shocks and wiring harness

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liftgate actuator which consists of both shocks and wiring harness
OK. 'Actuator' is both shocks (and installed on the correct sides) and the wiring harness. Nothing changed in the lift gate lift rod or the motor?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a bi-directional scan tool? If so, you can try to perform the operation, and the scan tool will troubleshoot the operation, and most likely give you some usable information.

OP
OP
T

Tngal18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now it will close on its own, just not raise with power. Can raise manually. What gives??? I can hear the fuse box clicking. It is the big square fuse 1191 in the fuse panel in rear cargo compartment

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the liftgate rod on my 2016, the drivers side is the power actuator, and has the plug from the harness, the passenger side is passive. If you have replaced both of these not sure what the problem would be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE