Lifted Steering Setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just finished replacing everything in the front end: Upper control arms, lower control arms, inner and outter tie rods, wheel bearings, sway bar end links.

I did not replace: CV axles or steering rack

My tahoe is lifted a little bit and I have Rough Country upper control arms to accommodate the lift.

The ride is has been great since I installed the new parts but occasionally I still get clunks and knocks through the steering wheel when going over bumps at low speed and I am wondering if there is something else that can be done to make this thing drive better.

The steering feels pretty tight so I think the internals of the steering rack are fine but I have read that the steering rack mount bushings go bad causing some clunks.

What is the fix for this?

So far I have found 2 solutions that do not involve replacing the steering rack:
1.) Replace the passenger side rack mount bushing. I found this kit that comes with a new passenger side mount as well as a brace to put on the driver side, this looks promising and I will be ordering it. https://www.amazon.com/Cadillac-Escalade-Chevrolet-Silverado-Polyurethane/dp/B07F1X2PBB

2.) I have found a forum thread about a guy that loosened his steering rack and then shoved a hard rubber coil spring spacer between his rack and his frame to force everything to be tight and he said that solved his problem. I will consider doing this to my tahoe since I will already have my rack unbolted to install the bushing kit. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/beefing-up-power-steering-rack.73785/page-3

Beyond what I have outlined above does anyone else have any input or further experience about this subject that could shed some light as to why I might be experiencing these clunks and knocks in my steering wheel? my only other thought it that my CV axles could be going bad.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not as familiar with the NNBS but I know on the NBS the Intermediate steering shaft often needs more grease or needs replacing completely, I believe it was even a recall or service bulletin. I fixed mine with a replacement Boregusson unit and haven't had an issue since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas