lift gate weatherstripping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woodman300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hey guys, i ordered the new rubber for the tailgate area. i got the piece that goes around the opening, the piece that goes on top of the tailgate and the piece that goes above the lift gate window.

the part for the lift gate does not fit right. it is part #38-8382 from LMC trucks. has anyone else had any trouble with this part? the GM part # would be 15983928.

i have a '96 with the tailgate. the original part was in rough shape and the new one is the right size and has the cutouts where the hinges are but the flap that is supposed to go over the outside of the top of the window will not stay there when the lift gate is raised up. it looks like the shape is not right. i am going to contact LMC but i just wondered if there would be any difference to this part if ordered from a GM parts place. the one i got from LMC was made in taiwan, and was a lot less expensive than the GM part.

thanks

geltstavern

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was just about to order the same weatherstripping for my 97 yukon. I think I'll wait and see how it turns out woodman...

OP
OP
W

woodman300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i worked on it some more and got it to fit in correctly. i think it would be a good idea to use a little bit of silicone adhesive in a few spots along the groove that fits on the body. the channel of the weatherstripping has metal in it to keep it stiff and i think with just a couple of strategically placed drops of glue, it would stay on much better. in order to get the thing in there in the first place, i had to loosen the nuts that hold the window in place. this allowed me to pull the window away from the body and make the gap big enough to slide the strip into place.

bigfutz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No one but LMC Truck seems to offer the ability to identify these parts. I’m about to order them for my 95 Tahoe. Let me know if I’m wrong on the part numbers.
38-8380 - WEATHERSTRIP-OPENING $39.95
38-8382 - WEATHERSTRIP-UPPER $29.95
38-8386 - TAILGATE WEATHERSTRIP $29.95

Dimondan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No one but LMC Truck seems to offer the ability to identify these parts. I’m about to order them for my 95 Tahoe. Let me know if I’m wrong on the part numbers.
38-8380 - WEATHERSTRIP-OPENING $39.95
38-8382 - WEATHERSTRIP-UPPER $29.95
38-8386 - TAILGATE WEATHERSTRIP $29.95
If you use this page here on LMC Truck, you can see a picture of each of those part numbers with a number referencing where the part is located.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found one relatively quick- Hatch seal $111.54

Part Number: 15758707
Supersession(s): 15960329

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts