Lifetime Fuel Economy - 6.2 liter engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duke90

Reaction score
Do you have 6.2 or 5.3?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have the 6.2

Just to add some input on the other questions asked here I run premium and every 3-4 tanks I put in a bottle of STP fuel treatment (not sure if it helps anything, but $5 can't hurt every now and then). We purchased the yukon in Portland and drove it home to SoCal. We put a little over 2000 miles on it during the trip and the avg showed 19.1 mpg. That involved maybe 50 miles of dirt service roads and maybe another 500 miles of slow curvy coastal roads, the rest was I-5 all the way down. Not bad for a big suv with 2 adults and 2 kids.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 6.2

Just to add some input on the other questions asked here I run premium and every 3-4 tanks I put in a bottle of STP fuel treatment (not sure if it helps anything, but $5 can't hurt every now and then). We purchased the yukon in Portland and drove it home to SoCal. We put a little over 2000 miles on it during the trip and the avg showed 19.1 mpg. That involved maybe 50 miles of dirt service roads and maybe another 500 miles of slow curvy coastal roads, the rest was I-5 all the way down. Not bad for a big suv with 2 adults and 2 kids.
The reason is that you may don't know how hard is to drive a 5.3 when you have a 6.2, I use a rental few days and really the difference is big.
To add few things to increase HP won't help that much.
What is your opinion about that?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason is that you may don't know how hard is to drive a 5.3 when you have a 6.2, I use a rental few days and really the difference is big.

I can add a little info. My previous Yukon XL was a 5.3 so I know what you mean. To be honest the 6.2 is nice but I rarely need 400 plus torque or hp. Sure lt sounds awesome but when gas was over $4 gallon I wish I had a 5.3

abright52

2011 Yukon Denali
Reaction score
I can add a little info. My previous Yukon XL was a 5.3 so I know what you mean. To be honest the 6.2 is nice but I rarely need 400 plus torque or hp. Sure lt sounds awesome but when gas was over $4 gallon I wish I had a 5.3

I went from a 2007 Tahoe with the 5.3L and 4spd trans to a 2011 Denali with 6.2L and 6spd trans. Fuel economy is pretty similar between the two. Power difference is very noticable. 2007 had a Blackbear tune...which I haven't had time to mess with on the 2011.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve flirted with adding a tune. The hp and tq gains are amazing plus better mileage. Since I’m out of warranty now might be the time to start with a mild one. Agreed about the noticeable difference. I’m sure full time AWD pulls the mpg down a bit.

duke90

Reaction score

I agree, little adds like headers, CAI, exhaust etc won't do much in terms of adding noticeable HP gains. I just don't want to fork over the money to add a supercharger. For $400 though I would consider adding headers just to make it sound more mean.

I'm actually in a rental yukon with the 5.3 while my 17' is in the shop (driver's side door needs to be realigned). The difference is HUGE. I'm glad I went with the 6.2 over the 5.3

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, little adds like headers, CAI, exhaust etc won't do much in terms of adding noticeable HP gains. I just don't want to fork over the money to add a supercharger. For $400 though I would consider adding headers just to make it sound more mean.

I'm actually in a rental yukon with the 5.3 while my 17' is in the shop (driver's side door needs to be realigned). The difference is HUGE. I'm glad I went with the 6.2 over the 5.3
Finally, I have someone in with the same idea, I tough it was me only.

[emoji26]

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
24.7 best and combinated 17.9 from jersey short to Orlando FL.
5 childrens and 2 adult full logged .
Cannot complained, if you see the pic is the second thank I stop for fuel in NC.2a12aca55b795c7ff136865119e08ca8.jpg

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power-wise and driveability between the 5.3 and 6.2 is night and day. Not sure if the trans has a lot to do wuth it too or not. But the 5.3 is a turd in comparison, especially in the burb/XL. Not to mention, the 6.2 is more fuel efficient.

As far as premium fuel goes, my wife has almost 40k miles on her denali now. Its never had a drop of anything except regular gas. Never spark knocks and always hovering somewhere around 20 mpg’s for our type of travels.