Level or lift.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moe256

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello I am new to the forum . I have A 2012 Yukon XL with 5.3 and about 140,000 miles. I have owned the truck for about 8 months and love it . I had a local shop install a western defender snow plow they did a fantastic job and the truck handles the plow well . The issue I have is the truck is stock and the front is really low to the ground only leaving about 4/1-2 inches of clearance between the plow frame and the ground.
The truck currently has about four inches of factory rake witch I actually like that look . And I should mention I pull a 6000 lb trailer in the summer putting the ride level. Plus I should mention I an running 265/70 R17 and have no plans on changing them . I don’t have a big budget I am looking for advice on how to get more ground clearance for the plow Thanks .

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello I am new to the forum . I have A 2012 Yukon XL with 5.3 and about 140,000 miles. I have owned the truck for about 8 months and love it . I had a local shop install a western defender snow plow they did a fantastic job and the truck handles the plow well . The issue I have is the truck is stock and the front is really low to the ground only leaving about 4/1-2 inches of clearance between the plow frame and the ground.
The truck currently has about four inches of factory rake witch I actually like that look . And I should mention I pull a 6000 lb trailer in the summer putting the ride level. Plus I should mention I an running 265/70 R17 and have no plans on changing them . I don’t have a big budget I am looking for advice on how to get more ground clearance for the plow Thanks .
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

Pete has a plow on his maybe he can share some wisdom.

@Galante ?

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hey Moe! Glad to see you joined!

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Welcome!

A cheap, but effective way for more clearance are strut spacers. Rear coil spacers in the back. Will want to replace your rear shocks at the same time with a longer shock or a cheaper alternative is to install shock extenders and keep OEM shocks.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
If you have the AutoRide you’ll need to consider the height sensors and adjust them accordingly so the you don’t continuously throw a “service suspension” message.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Moe256 Welcome to the group! I think that instead of stacking spacers on top of an already compressed front spring you would be better off replacing your front springs with some very beefy MOOG 81244 coil springs. While you're at it you could install the MOOG 81069 heavy duty spring in the rear along with Bilstein 5100s in the front and rear and I think it would make for a much better ride with the added weight of the snow plow.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

You've already received a number of replies and suggestions from the great folks here.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a post from @Galante about what he’s done in his vehicle.

Had one on my 01 and transferred it to my 13

Both stock, i cranked the stock keys a little on the 01 and added timbrens... also had bilstien 46’s and very little to no droop. Timbrens are the best thing you can do. Truck rode just like stock with and without plow. Add couple bags of samd to the rear when plowing and you won’t even feel the plow

13 is all stock.

I do the same .. long private drive only and occasionally a friend neighbor.
Remember these are 1500’s get lightest plow you can... all this said it beats the crap out of the hubs so replace them if you haven’t already.

I put a snowdogg md75 on and it was probably the easiest plow to mount ive ever used and ive been in the northeast plowing since before i was legal to drive, very little trimming to the bumper and a light plow.

Dave McLean

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all! hope I'm not hijacking the thread...great stuff here and great information/members, thanks!!! I have a 2013 Tahoe LTZ and would also like to level...my question is that if I level by lifting the front or using something like a Rancho quicklft suspension lift kit (part #RS999901), will that mess with the autoride leveling system? I tow a pretty heavy boat and like the autoride when towing that. Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645