Led Strips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigrhino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody used led strips inside there Tahoe ? I want to hook a set up to turn on when i open the door and to use underneath the dash so that the floor lights up when i use the dome lights.

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in doing this as well seems interesting

quattrotman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty simple to do. Just tap into the exisiting cabin lights, run the wire and mount the lights where you want them. 3M double sided tape works great for non permanent mounting. BTW, little bulbs set back in the air vents looks very cool at night too. Ebay is full of different options and colors...they are super cheap. Also, when wiring, the lights are sensative to polarity. If you hook them up and they don't work, reverse polarity and they will. It stumps a lot of people...including myslef the first time. Sorry, don't have pics to show u...opted out of tht mod for this truck. Just did the dome lights.
These guys sell lots of different lights...but there are cheaper on ebay:
http://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips

Last edited:

Mgyver1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a strip across the back in the cargo area and my only regret was not doing it sooner.

All I did was use some strip lighting (same stuff I used for my undercabinet lighting in the kitchen which also turned out great) and stuck it on the upper panel with some 3M double stick tape. You can cut this stuff by 2" increments so just roll off as much as you need and cut on the line. Use the more expensive gray tape with red plastic, it holds more weight and actually comes off easier.

I soldered the positive wire to the metal that holds the rear driver side dome/map light bulb. If I had it to do over again I would have done it to the rear passenger light though. The light is pretty bright so if you have a rear passenger who turns on the light on the driver's side it won't blind you as much since your head is blocking the light. If they turn on the passenger side, then your night vision is shot anyway so why not have the strip light work.

So for going with foot well lighting just make sure whatever light you tie in to is going to activate the foot well lighting when you turn it on. Or you could trace the dome circuit to it's source and tap in there which would give you lighting only when all the lights are on like when you open the door, but are independent of all the map lights.

This is the strip lighting I used and I used it with the optional mounting sleeve sold separately:
http://www.leddistributors.net/products/flexible_led_strip.html

Last edited:

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a detailed write up on how to do it on a NNBS.
http://********.com/f14/how-install-footwell-lights-nnbs-07-a-2079.html

Link isnt working. For some reason custom gm is blocked and doesnt show up. I think the owner of this forum has something against that site. Just replace the starts with c u s t o m g m (without the spaces) and it should work.

Last edited:

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score