Led Headlight Retrofit Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booby1323

Reaction score
How's it goin guys. This is my first post on the forum, you guys have helped me tons over the past of owning my Yukon SLT. So I decided to make an account here so I could start posing my own questions. I plan to eventually make a personal mod thread like I've seen some other members do to show all my mods. But in the mean time I was hoping you guys could help me get a jump start on researching for my next project... LED headlight retro fit.

I installed Oracle halos in my new light housings. After a few weeks a couple of the halos went out (see pictures) and Oracle has been kind enough to send me free replacements. Unfortunately that means ill have to open up the headlights again, I thought it might be worthwhile to do the LED retrofit while I got them apart.

So what lenses (projectors?) do you guys like to use in your Yukons? I'm wanting my headlights to appear white like the halos, light up the road better than stock halogens, while blinding oncoming traffic. I think id prefer to LED headlights as opposed to HID, if there is a difference in hardware. Any information or links to other useful threads regarding LED retrofits would be awesome. I've seen some good right ups on doing the install, if you guys wouldn't mind pointing me towards some of the opens you like most.

Thanks!

eyecandynsx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How's it goin guys. This is my first post on the forum, you guys have helped me tons over the past of owning my Yukon SLT. So I decided to make an account here so I could start posing my own questions. I plan to eventually make a personal mod thread like I've seen some other members do to show all my mods. But in the mean time I was hoping you guys could help me get a jump start on researching for my next project... LED headlight retro fit.

I installed Oracle halos in my new light housings. After a few weeks a couple of the halos went out (see pictures) and Oracle has been kind enough to send me free replacements. Unfortunately that means ill have to open up the headlights again, I thought it might be worthwhile to do the LED retrofit while I got them apart.

So what lenses (projectors?) do you guys like to use in your Yukons? I'm wanting my headlights to appear white like the halos, light up the road better than stock halogens, while blinding oncoming traffic. I think id prefer to LED headlights as opposed to HID, if there is a difference in hardware. Any information or links to other useful threads regarding LED retrofits would be awesome. I've seen some good right ups on doing the install, if you guys wouldn't mind pointing me towards some of the opens you like most.

Thanks!

I assume and I hope you meant NOT blind oncoming traffic... Oracle sucks. There is no question they should warranty them, but they also shouldnt have gone out after a few weeks. Others make way better halos and warranty them if theres an issue.

If youre hell bent on LED, Kioto bi LED projector is probably the best way to go. The MLED projector from TRS hasnt had a lot of great things said about it. A proper HID retro will still blow away a LED retrofit. Yes theres more wiring involved, but the output is better.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I'm wanting my headlights to appear white like the halos, light up the road better than stock halogens, while blinding oncoming traffic...

Thanks!

I was just about to ask the same??

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Side track question.. Those of you that open up the headlight housings to do mods, what is the recommended product for resealing them? Plain silicone? Something else? I have a fairly new aftermarket housing that occasionally gets a little moisture in it so I was going to pull it out and try to seal it up better.

eyecandynsx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Side track question.. Those of you that open up the headlight housings to do mods, what is the recommended product for resealing them? Plain silicone? Something else? I have a fairly new aftermarket housing that occasionally gets a little moisture in it so I was going to pull it out and try to seal it up better.

theretrofitsource.com sells something called "retro rubber". Works great and more plyable than permaseal, but much stronger than silicone.

OP
OP
Booby1323

Booby1323

Reaction score
I assume and I hope you meant NOT blind oncoming traffic... Oracle sucks. There is no question they should warranty them, but they also shouldnt have gone out after a few weeks. Others make way better halos and warranty them if theres an issue.

If youre hell bent on LED, Kioto bi LED projector is probably the best way to go. The MLED projector from TRS hasnt had a lot of great things said about it. A proper HID retro will still blow away a LED retrofit. Yes theres more wiring involved, but the output is better.

Yes I meant while NOT blind oncoming drivers, lol. I just want to do it right, I was little tempted to just throw some LED bulbs in my reflector housings until my halos went out and I had a reason to reopen the assemblies. And I thought it was pretty crappy that such a simple LED strip that costs the amount it does would go out like that but they were pretty cool about sending replacements for free.

Im not opposed to HID headlights if they are better overall but I was under the impression that an HID bulb doesn't last as long as an LED bulb and that the output of an LED is still a huge improvement over stock halogens. Would I eventually regret going with LED over HID? I definitely want the best results I can get if I'm going through the trouble of doing the retrofit. What HID projectors do you guys like using in Yukon headlights?

Im a little concerned with installing them so they are aimed correctly. Not sure if there's a trick to it or if its actually pretty easy to get the alignment right while the assemblies are out on a bench. Another thing I was wondering is if you guys think a 6000K bulb would be similar in color to my "white" halos. They appear slightly blue to me but definitely not a very deep blue and are still kind of close to white. What temperature bulb would you guys recommend to match?

Another thing I thought I might do while the the lights are apart is replace the little amber parking lights bulbs with amber LED strips running the length of the orange lenses on the sides of the assemblies. I thought that would look cool and kinda match the theme with the halos. I haven't quite decided how I want to pull that off mainly cuz I'm not exactly sure what strips I want to use yet but I plan on doing that as well in anybody has thoughts or is interested to see how it turns out ounce I get there.

zkutilek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have 6000k HID in our 17 Yukon and if you are straight on with them, they are pure white, but of center they are a little lighter blue than your halos. I think it would be a good match.

zkutilek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a 6000k HID low beam (projector) and 6000k LED high beam (reflector). Hope this helps!

Ps......pay no attention to the blank spots in the LED DRL, just the way the camera took the photo.

4ED5E0A8-1884-4AB2-B363-C466C7F145A8.jpeg

OP
OP
Booby1323

Booby1323

Reaction score
So I have been doing a lot a research on this and I have came to the conclusion that I am hell bent on doing an LED retrofit despite the positives of an HID system. It just seems a bit different (which I find cool lol) and it does seem to be a very simple install. Specifically with the Morimoto M-LED projector. It seems be the best LED projectors the market with a threaded install shaft. I have seen some of the negatives said about it, mainly being the its beam width. I think I'm going to give it a shot though, because my halos might add a little perceived width to the beam and they look to be very bright regardless. Kioto was clearly the best from the reviews I've seen but it looks like a PITA to install and I think the MLED will give me nice color as well, close to 6000K atleast.

I also came across the Profile Hi-Beam only projectors at TRS and I think I'm going to mount a set of those in my upper (turn signal) reflector bowls. I am going to move the turn signals to the side-marker parking lights which I will be replacing with the 9" LED switchback strips from TRS.

I might try to find some switchback halos for my fog lights as well just to make sure my turn signal is very visible. I want to put some Morimoto xb fog lights in while im at, but Im not sure how the halos will work with those yet. I plan to call TRS today hopefully to get more info on the products I'm looking at and hopefully I can place my order this week.

I think it all work, I just need to get the parts in front of me and just tear into it. At this point I most concerned with wiring all this up correctly but I don't think it could be all that difficult. Any thought before I start to buy parts?