LED dome lights not working properly...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@

Thank you a lot! But if you allow me I'll still wait for the photos of the installation - where and how did you place capacitor and resistor
Was able to get a picture today. The capacitor is soldered to one bulb tab and the resistor to the other, then they are connected together. Make sure that the positive side for the capacitor is connected to the 12V side and the negative side is connected to ground. It doesn't really matter whether the resistor or capacitor is connected to the 12V side as long as the capacitor polarity is is correct. Then the 15k resistor is connected across the two capacitor leads.

Attachments

• IMG_20231102_155531628.jpg
    IMG_20231102_155531628.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 7

deathfry

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was able to get a picture today. The capacitor is soldered to one bulb tab and the resistor to the other, then they are connected together. Make sure that the positive side for the capacitor is connected to the 12V side and the negative side is connected to ground. It doesn't really matter whether the resistor or capacitor is connected to the 12V side as long as the capacitor polarity is is correct. Then the 15k resistor is connected across the two capacitor leads.
And again thank you!
Am I getting it right: those capacitors are enough for the whole interior lighting system? Or it is only for the front lights?

If I need to do this for ALL lights then maybe there is another way to do it once for all?

Last edited:

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And again thank you!
Am I getting it right: those capacitors are enough for the whole interior lighting system? Or it is only for the front lights?

If I need to do this for ALL lights then maybe there is another way to do it once for all?
They are only needed for the lights that can be turned on individually, like the reading lights. When all of the interior lights turn on, such as when opening the doors or using the switch on the dash, even the LEDs draw enough current to activate the circuit. But you will need a capacitor for each light that you want to turn on individually. I did the reading lights for the second and third rows, but not the ones in the overhead console. I decided that I liked having two brightness levels on those lights. If I want full brightness on them I open the vanity mirror just long enough to activate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia