LED dome lights not working properly...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
LED, not HID.

I just installed LED lamps in my dome lights for my Hoe. (front 2 map lights, and three bulbs in both celing lamps. (middle and rear)

Now... when I turned on the reading lamps (two black buttons) in the middle and rear celing light clusters the lamps are dim, and they flicker a bit. Here's where it gets strange. When I open the vanity mirror and let the old bulbs come on all, four reading lights suddenly get brighter like they should. The old OEM vanity lights stay on too.

Sooooo, fast forward a week. I just got in some bulbs for the vanity mirrors. I install them, and test everthing out. The reading lamps are dim still. I open the vanity mirror and these lights do not come on at all because the damn reading lights are on. If I turn off the reading lamps, the vanity lights will come on full strength.

So even before the vanity lamp switch I had an issue with the reading lamp bulbs, and now with the vanity lamps switched to LED I can't get full strength reading lights AND I can't have them both on at the same time.

I never had any issues with the lights when they were OEM bulbs.

If you know what the hell is going on please let me know.

BH

Last edited:
OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
Update- So I got to looking at these lights to try and troubleshoot. I am pretty sure it's not permanently fixed, but I took one of the LEDs out of the vanity and put an OEM bulb back in and all the dim lights got freaking bright again. Then I take out the OEM and put the LED back in, and it stayed bright... for now.

Is there some sort of resistor or something for all the interior courtesy lights?

BH

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a strange problem indeed!! Where did you buy the LED's from? Ebay? Might be the quality of the lights or even the sockets making contact, just throwing out some ideas!!!

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
Uhhhh, I got them from HID Guy. Shit, I was hoping to leave that can of worms closed....

I replaced one of the Vanity bulbs with the OEM one, and it seems to be fixed for now. I need to see if that holds true for any of the vanity sockets with the OEM bulb. If so, I have no freaking idea.

BH

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
Anyone else do the interior LED change and have weird light issues? It would be different if it was jacked before the LEDs went in, but it was fine.

????

ILSMKU

Reaction score
Anyone else do the interior LED change and have weird light issues? It would be different if it was jacked before the LEDs went in, but it was fine.

????

Bump an old thread. I have very similar issue with the LED bulbs. I didnt touch my vanity bulbs, but my map/dome bulbs are not working correctly either. flickering, VERY dim, or not working at all. Sucks.

Did you ever figure it out OP?

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
LED interior lights

I never got them to work right. The lights in the roof interior come on about 20% brightness until I open my driver side vanity mirror. Then they are full power. The map lights won't both turn on at the same time unless I do the magic vanity mirror trick.

This was never an issue with the standard bulbs.

In all honesty, the LEDs are bright as shit to look at... but the white light doesn't seem to illuminate as well as the warm light. Maybe it's my eyes. It's weird.

I have simply been dealing with it. I will however be changing back to the standard bulbs. I hate not knowing how to solve an issue in my truck, no matter how trivial it may seem.

BH

agilliam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
HID/LED Interior lighting not working

The reason the interior lighting is not working with ALL LED, is simple but can be confusing for some. All interior lights are computer controlled on new cars. If you notice, if you leave your lights on, after 10 minutes usually all your interior lights will shut off to prevent battery drain. You also have a bulb out warning for your headlights turns etc. With that in mind, Your lights will come on dim, but unless it detects a resistance of a actual oem bulb, the lights will not turn on. This is why when you put 1 light bulb back in place of your LED light, they worked. It has to have a resistance there in order for the lights to get full power. The BCM (Body Control Module) sends out a slow voltage to measure the lights to see if they are there. IF they arent there, then it wont send the signal to turn the lights on full 12v power.

Hope this helped.

I had the same thing with my Dodge Ram. I had to wire in load resistors in the map lights to get this problem solved. The resistors tell the computer "Hey i have a bulb in because there is resistance", then the BCM turns the lights on full power with no bulb out error msg or dimming.

2005SnowKon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2005 Yukon had the same problem with thet dome lights but all i needed to do was turn the LED bulb alittle and it brightened right up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33