Large deposit to get larger discount…?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stealthall

Reaction score
Does anyone know if putting down a larger deposit…$5k, $10K, etc may allow for additional negotiation off MSRP?

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bill 1960 is correct, I think your required to put a minimum 8% down, so that’s what they would probably prefer with 72-84 month financing

BTSRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All depends on credit and banks. You may not have to put anything down, even at 72 -84 month.

100cars

Reaction score
Does anyone know if putting down a larger deposit…$5k, $10K, etc may allow for additional negotiation off MSRP?
Most likely the opposite would be true - i.e. no money down would get you a better deal if you finance with the dealer. But with the market the way it is now, good luck getting any discount. All these vehicles are coming to dealers pre-sold at MSRP from what I've heard.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
It is an ever changing dynamic how to get the best deal, because incentives, markets, and competitors are ever evolving. What often works is take an incentive (rebate or reduced price) conditional on captive financing. Then turn around after delivery and use that cash you have stockpiled to refinance at your credit union or wherever you get the best rate.

Be sure there’s no prepayment penalty on any loan you sign. Laws in a lot of jurisdictions prohibit prepayment penalties, but I’m not a lawyer. I don’t even stay at a Holiday Inn.

Dez78n

Reaction score
Omg... Do people really finance their cars for 7 years??? That seems crazy to me. By the time I'd be done with paying on it, it would have 175k miles on it.

Jeremie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If the rate is really good, there's no reason not to finance for the maximum length of time (1% or better). It's essentially free money that you can otherwise invest. That said, if there are cash incentives that you can't also get while financing, that would often be a better deal.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
If the rate is really good, there's no reason not to finance for the maximum length of time (1% or better). It's essentially free money that you can otherwise invest. That said, if there are cash incentives that you can't also get while financing, that would often be a better deal.
That’s a fact. I can’t tell you how many times on the RV forums I read accounts of people bragging about paying cash for an expensive RV. SMH. It’s no accident that public education does a terrible job teaching people about finance.

Borrowing money is actually a reasonable method of hedging against inflation - something that may be of keen interest in these times. Borrow today’s dollar and repay with tomorrow’s.

Don’t get me wrong, I do not advocate buying anything you’re not able to afford and preferably pay cash for. But don’t. Use Other People’s Money (OPM) when it’s offered cheap and invest YOUR money in appreciating assets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts