Key programming..questions..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThwopKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 'Hoe only came with one key and remote..so i picked up a remote and key combo off of ebay for 30 bucks. The remote im sur ei can program with help from the owners manual..and once the key is cut will it have to be programmed to the vehicle? Im used to fords and they have to be programmed into the p.a.t.s. system...does GM still use "chip" keys?

Thanks, Vince

Rick

Reaction score
i have a 2000 hoe and im pretty sure the key itself is not chipped. the plastic around the end seems way to small. and the programing for the fob is a pain. i had to re do my two fobs. you have to be very quik, and do one fob right after the other or only one fob will be programmed

3BigDogs

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Tahoe & there's No chip on the Actual Key. To program the key Fob:

Collect All remotes that you wish to program. This procedure will erase all previously programmed remotes. You must program all existing and new remotes that you wish to use on the vehicle at this time.

Close all doors, insert key into ignition do not turn it.

Hold the Unlock button on the driver's door DO NOT RELEASE.

Quickly turn ignition ON OFF, ON OFF. Do not start the car turn the key to the ON position on the cylinder

Release Unlock button. Locks will cycle from lock to unlock Signally entering of programming mode. If the locks cycle before you release the unlock button the programming will not work. Repeat from step one.

Press and hold the Lock and Unlock button on the remote being programmed until the locks cycle again. This signals your vehicle has been successfully programmed. Repeat this step for any additional remote.

Turn key to the on position to exit from programming mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Five3brian

Latest posts