Key FOB Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi all - possibly a dumb question: I Have a 2021 Yukon SLT - and I clearly don’t have a lot of experience with fobs... I traded in my 10 year old Expedition which didn’t have the fancy fob features and buttons that this GMC has! Here’s the question - when taking multi-day trips I take both keys, and normally would ‘hide” the second key somewhere in the vehicle in case the first key gets lost. Knowing that the GMC fob has features such as unlocking of door when the fob is nearby etc, is it a problem to have the second fob somewhere in the vehicle? Or does that cause problems? Thanks.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
generally if it "sees" the fob inside the vehicle if you try to lock the doors it will unlock them again. the only other issue would be if you have push button start. typically doesn't matter where the fob is located just as long as it thinks its inside the vehicle.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could and should get a faraday bag/case. This will block the signal from the fob. If the internet is correct ( why would someone lie on the internet) these fobs transmits your “code” every few seconds. Someone with skills could grab and copy you fob signal and open/steal your truck. Maybe someone with more info can chime in.

tomgilk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just take the battery out and keep it separate within the car.

yukontruckman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better yet, install the myGMC App. You can remote lock and unlock your doors via Onstar free for the first 5 years.

Edit: read quickly and didn't realize you were concerned about losing keys. Was thinking concern was not being able to unlock the truck.

Last edited:

Dogged

Reaction score
Removing the battery is the sure fire way of doing this. You can also try wrapping it in a few layers of foil and placing it about mid-cabin (away from the steering column / doors / rear proximity sensors). This may attenuate the signal enough that it would not think it's still in the cabin, like the aforementioned faraday box.

Note, don't leave the "dead" keyfob in the cup holder. There's a sensor there that will allow a dead fob to start the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10

Latest posts