Key Fob Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patokelley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took my 2003 GMC YUKON SLT to my mechanic that I no longer use and when I got it back both of my key fobs no longer worked.

I watched a YouTube video on reprogramming by holding down unlock, turn ignition on/off twice quick then when on program mode hold both buttons on fob until the truck doors respond it's been programmed. If I missed something above thats from memory. I followed the step by step when I did it. And replaced batteries.

Then bought TWO new fobs.Agaon followed steps to reprogram.Did not work.

Looked on side dash fuse box. I am completely lost if I need to replace fuses and which to replace oraybe some are missing. My mechanic had pulled so fuses looking for a parasitic battery problem and I already have found one fuse he just forgot, I guess, to put back in.

Any help on getting this 1st world key fob problem fixed so I can just click again to unlock my doors?

Thank you Pat

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You brought it in for a parasitic drain- what did he find? Did he repair it?

OP
OP
patokelley

patokelley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No he did not fix the parasitic battery draw. In fact he was rude and just threw his hands up and said "I don't know what it is." No charge. Well I got in my truck and my stereo didn't work then several other little things over time. Fuses the guy pulled that he didn't put back.

So needless to say I don't go back to him.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh. This sounds messy. First thing is to go through EVERY fuse spot, one-by-one, and make sure it has a fuse in place if it's an item your truck has. Don't forget about the fuse panel inside the cabin.

I'm hoping he didn't screw up something and quickly dumped it to make his "problem" go away. At least finding the circuit on which a parasitic draw is can be a little time consuming, but it isn't difficult. It's a basic job any "mechanic" worthy of the title should be able to handle.

OP
OP
patokelley

patokelley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The new mechanic I took it to said I didn't have one but needed longer bolts inside my battery connectors which he put in. Since, which was a couple months ago, I have had no battery deaths. Before new mechanic did that I had to buy 2 new batteries and the battery would would need a jump every few days if not driven.

My new mechanic wasn't asked to fix key fob. BTW.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

You can take your truck to a local locksmith, and they will attempt to reprogram the fobs to the truck. If the issue is something deeper than simple fob programming, they will tell you.

PEZ57

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I found our 2022 Yukon that exhibited the “won’t start after remote started with FOB” was that the FOB was too close to the vehicle. In this case about six feet thru a wall to the garage. This was never a problem with previous vehicles. Truck would constantly whir and interior lights on and off.

Keeping FOBs further away. No more problems since doing this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094