Key Fob 2016 Suburban is on it’s last leg...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suprrg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Key Fob for 2016 Suburban is on it’s last leg & wife lost the other. What’s the best way to go about getting a replacement if you only have 1? I’ve seen advertisements stating that you need both originals to have a replacement activated.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an Amazon fob with no issues. It definitely doesn’t have that oem feel but it gets the job done. Paid about $50 for the key/fob and $30 for a locksmith to cut the blank key that came with it. You also program the fob in your center console yourself you only need 1 key.

I never actually priced a dealer key before I did this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XJNVB6...abc_QNC5DGPYNCP0K0Z5VCE5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to my local locksmith, and for $75, I got a new GM fob, a new key, and the fob programmed to my specific truck.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check Ebay also but check the reviews, just make sure you get the correct year and correct FOB and you can then have a locksmith program or as Joseph recommended just let the locksmith handle everything.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here's what I learned when doing the same thing you're wanting to do.

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Key Fob for 2016 Suburban is on it’s last leg & wife lost the other. What’s the best way to go about getting a replacement if you only have 1? I’ve seen advertisements stating that you need both originals to have a replacement activated.
Not sure if it applies to 2016 model year vehicles, but hopefully this helps someone with a 3rd gen that is reading this (07-14). With an 07-14 you do not even need 1 FOB to program 2 new ones. The important thing is you buy the correct FOB. I bought new OEM fobs off amazon, matching the part #s. They were a LOT cheaper than what the local stealership wanted for the newer FOBs and cheaper than OEM fobs on ebay.

Just had to insert my key into the ignition and follow the program steps for the FOB. Takes about 90 seconds. I know the video says 2007-2010 but it worked on my 2013 as stated.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2013 Tahoe here and I didn't even need 1 FOB to program 2 new ones. The important thing is you buy the correct FOB. I bought new OEM fobs off amazon, matching the part #s. They were a LOT cheaper than what the local stealership wanted for the newer FOBs and cheaper than OEM fobs on ebay.

Just had to insert my key into the ignition and follow the program steps for the FOB. Takes about 90 seconds. Not sure if it applies to 2016 MY vehicles, but hopefully this helps someone. I know the video says 2007-2010 but it worked on my 2013 as stated.

does not work for any of the newer trucks at all GM upgraded the security exponentially since then, my 2018 has to have 2 existing programmed keys before I can program any additional without a locksmith or dealer. If you only have 1 key may as well bite the bullet and go to the dealer or a locksmith because trying to do it any other way will cost you just as much or more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157