Just tuned by blackbear!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious to hear about MPG effects also. I don't know if it's true but i suspect a lot of tuners simply dial in more throttle/gas at a lower pedal setting, without actually changing anything in a true performance sense. Basically just give you a heavy gas pedal, lol.

To be clear, i'm not accusing Black Bear of this, i know nothing about them. I just wonder that about all tuners in general.
No. Any respectable tuner doesn’t do this. There is a software controlled box that does allow changes to the throttle pedal response called Pedal Commander but that’s different than a tune. If you’ve ever had a custom tune done you would know there are performance gains as well as firmer, tighter shifting. It’s a big difference. Plus Blackbear retunes for life so if you change anything they do a new tune for free. Every time I did something like a cam, different trans, stall, supercharger, different size wheels, etc., they did a new tune for me.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No. Any respectable tuner doesn’t do this. There is a software controlled box that does allow changes to the throttle pedal response called Pedal Commander but that’s different than a tune. If you’ve ever had a custom tune done you would know there are performance gains as well as firmer, tighter shifting. It’s a big difference. Plus Blackbear retunes for life so if you change anything they do a new tune for free. Every time I did something like a cam, different trans, stall, supercharger, different size wheels, etc., they did a new tune for me.

That's getting your money's worth.

OP
OP
Venom

Venom

Reaction score
Yea I don’t think they do that, plus mine is cable and I’m not sure you can do that on a cable. They probably up the timing a little and change a few other things, tho I really don’t know much about tuning. I was getting like 12 to 11 mpg a couple months ago and that was before I did my plug, wires and went to a less wide tire. Next time I fill up I’ll do it again and see where I’m at

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Yea I don’t think they do that, plus mine is cable and I’m not sure you can do that on a cable. They probably up the timing a little and change a few other things, tho I really don’t know much about tuning. I was getting like 12 to 11 mpg a couple months ago and that was before I did my plug, wires and went to a less wide tire. Next time I fill up I’ll do it again and see where I’m at

The spark advance will be adjusted depending on what octane you had it tuned for. The biggest change is the TCM. The line pressures and shift points get moved. Even more so if you had him put a sport mode on the tow button. The torque management also gets reduced, typically. And maybe rev and top speed limits.

FreshLikeOprah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
canned tunes are okay, and better than a programmer.

But honestly, the best bang is going to a shop or finding someone local who tunes. Every vehicle is different and respond differently to things.

OP
OP
Venom

Venom

Reaction score
Mpg update. I am getting 14 mpg. Don’t have anything that tells me so I had to divide. I used to get like 11 but I had changed my plugs and wires, went from 305s to 285s size tires. So how much is from the tune I don’t really know

Last edited:

TroySmith80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Difficult to draw conclusions since there were multiple changes, but still good to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts