Just to show girls can do it too....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orchidcrazy

Reaction score
Ok, so I am dad's only daughter that took after both him and mom in the DIY'er stuff. For my birthday this year, he bought me a new random orbital and I got to try it out today for the first time. So much nicer than the cheap 20 year old monster I had! Bought a 5" BP and went to town...

This is Mequire's Gold wash, followed by a Griot's clay mitt treatment (first time using instead of a clay bar - 2 thumbs up! A previous driver had scraped up the rear a bit so i used Griot's Correcting cream on parts but mainly used their Polishing Cream. And finalized everything with Griot's Poly Wax.
Wheels and tires were cleaned with Chemical Guys stuff and the tires have a Griot's tire treatment on them.

That is my neighbor's house reflected.... :)

Next I get to try out my new machine on hubby's black '05 Audi A6 and two of the kids vehicles, but mine came first!
IMG_9451.jpg IMG_9452.jpg IMG_9454.jpg

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent work! This right here is why I became a professional detailer. I was sick of the stupid car wash doing crap jobs on my vehicles so I learned to do it myself! It’s amazing what a random orbital machine can do! It’s my go to machine for so many things when I’m working on a clients vehicle. And my porter cable is the best random orbital by far! Haha.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good job learning how to detail and it shows in the hard work you did on your Yukon. Sounds like you used some really good products as well. Your husband is lucky to have you detail his ride.

OP
OP
O

orchidcrazy

Reaction score
Thanks guys!!! Been detailing cars since my early 20's - over 30 years now - just got some new toys (why'd I wait so long!) and some new product to try!

Been the way of Zaino and Klasse and many others and decided to try Griot's - happy with my choice!

Dad is an ex-mechanic, who then handled a fleet of vehicles for a large US corporation. For 'fun' he restores cars, rebuilds planes although age is slowing him down now.

So question - can I polish my wheels with anything to protect them? In the NorthEast and we use this horrid stuff on our roads. What, if anything, can I treat the wheel wells with - they are lined with something fabric-y. And finally, does anyone use anything like Aquapel on their windshields and is it worth it? I used McKees Krystal Vision which McKee's must have bought out since I purchased my last load of stuff because it's the same product and name of something I have in stock in my basement supplies. Just wondering if any of the window treatments out there work well.

Can't wait to play with hubby's car next!

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good job learning how to detail and it shows in the hard work you did on your Yukon. Sounds like you used some really good products as well. Your husband is lucky to have you detail his ride.

No shit. I’ve detailed myprevious ‘09 CTS-V and Trailblazer SS and it was an all day ordeal, with a PC random orbital...

What, if anything, can I treat the wheel wells with - they are lined with something fabric-y.

This is a very good question, as one of my front liners has some residue and almost brownish color to it that I can’t get rid of. I’ve only tried simple green and a plastic bristle brush though, with not much success at getting them clean.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a porter cable I've been using since college (06). But when I bought my first esky, it was cheaper for me to pay a friend 150 bucks once a year to do paint correction etc, now his prices have gone way up and would cost me over 1k to get my new esky done, I decided to do it myself again. Still using the same old stuff (meguair's 105 and 205 topped off with some Jetseal from Chemical guys) b/c it worked then and I trust it to work still today.

DVB6JLf.jpg
here it is after the first stage of cutting.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I've had a porter cable I've been using since college (06). But when I bought my first esky, it was cheaper for me to pay a friend 150 bucks once a year to do paint correction etc, now his prices have gone way up and would cost me over 1k to get my new esky done, I decided to do it myself again. Still using the same old stuff (meguair's 105 and 205 topped off with some Jetseal from Chemical guys) b/c it worked then and I trust it to work still today.

DVB6JLf.jpg
here it is after the first stage of cutting.
Wow, like glass.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!!! Been detailing cars since my early 20's - over 30 years now - just got some new toys (why'd I wait so long!) and some new product to try!

Been the way of Zaino and Klasse and many others and decided to try Griot's - happy with my choice!

Dad is an ex-mechanic, who then handled a fleet of vehicles for a large US corporation. For 'fun' he restores cars, rebuilds planes although age is slowing him down now.

So question - can I polish my wheels with anything to protect them? In the NorthEast and we use this horrid stuff on our roads. What, if anything, can I treat the wheel wells with - they are lined with something fabric-y. And finally, does anyone use anything like Aquapel on their windshields and is it worth it? I used McKees Krystal Vision which McKee's must have bought out since I purchased my last load of stuff because it's the same product and name of something I have in stock in my basement supplies. Just wondering if any of the window treatments out there work well.

Can't wait to play with hubby's car next!
Most polishes are safe on wheels. I use the chemical guys V line to polish and then I follow behind it with rim wax to keep my wheels protected. Also if your glass has been properly clayed clean, wax it! A good wax product will at last any of that other cheesy junk that they make to protect glass. After I’ve clayed all my glass I seal I t with Chemical guys Jetseal and it works like a charm. Water rolls right off and the seal lasts as long as it does on the painted surfaces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz